Thread: Re new file manager in 13.04: Seeming lost ability to make new folder

Beans

Re new file manager in 13.04: Seeming lost ability to make new folder

Since I started using Linux OS, before I upgraded to 13.04, for the 3 prior Ubuntu versions (11.10, 12.04, 12.10), I was able to make new folders (or directories) as a normal user (not superuser) in the home directory via the GUI's file manger....However, I was puzzled after 13.04 installation, that I didn't see a way to make a new folder....The "help" discusses everything about existing folders, but (as far as I can see) makes no mention of making new ones.....Have I missed something?

I realize I can probably still make folders in the command line in terminal mode as a superuser, which I can be if I want to be (given I wear boh hats being both a user and a superuser)....However, most of the time I'd rather save the time doing things the GUI way when it comes to personal files in a hierarchy of sub-folders I've made inside the documents folder inside the home directory.

If anybody out there can shed some light on this most likely simple thing that I've probably missed, please let me know.....Tom

Beans

Re: Re new file manager in 13.04: Seeming lost ability to make new folder

I haven't yet seen Ubuntu 13.04's default file manager, but in general, most file managers will create a new folder within the current folder with Shift+Ctrl+N. Try that. If you get some permission denied message, your permissions on the home folder have become incorrect.

I would be surprised there is no option for Create New Folder under the File Menu as there always has been in Nautilus?

Beans

unless your install is somewhat borked nothing has changed there - just right click on an empty space > "New Folder"
    or
    click on the 'gear' toolbar icon > New Folder
    or keyboard combo as mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Tom7wpd View Post
    ?

I realize I can probably still make folders in the command line in terminal mode as a superuser, which I can be if I want to be (given I wear boh hats being both a user and a superuser)...
    Maybe that's where it's gone wrong for you...

edit: screens of all 3 ways
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; May 14th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you try shift-ctrl-N for a new folder?

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I haven't yet seen Ubuntu 13.04's default file manager, but in general, most file managers will create a new folder within the current folder with Shift+Ctrl+N. Try that. If you get some permission denied message, your permissions on the home folder have become incorrect.

I would be surprised there is no option for Create New Folder under the File Menu as there always has been in Nautilus?
    Thanks Dennis....Sorry I was away for a while dealing with other things....The keyboard sequence Shift+Ctrl+N worked (I wasn't aware of that way)....Was previously trying the right click way. Have no idea why right clicking doesn't produce a new folder option anymore. But, it doesn't much matter to me anymore, now that I know the keyboard option....Tom

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    unless your install is somewhat borked nothing has changed there - just right click on an empty space > "New Folder"
    or
    click on the 'gear' toolbar icon > New Folder
    or keyboard combo as mentioned

Maybe that's where it's gone wrong for you...

edit: screens of all 3 ways
    Thanks mc4man...Sorry was away for a while...The keyboard combo worked...Right clicking doesn't work anymore for me (don't know why). Doesn't matter anyway now that I know the keys...Tom

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    Did you try shift-ctrl-N for a new folder?
    Thankd oldrocker99...Sorry was away for so long...The key combo worked...For now I'm not going to bother trying to figure out why right clicking didn't work anymore for me...Now that I know the keys, I'm happy....Tom