Thread: No wired, wireless or ANSWERS with 13.04

Beans

No wired, wireless or ANSWERS with 13.04

My laptop has gained 13.04 and lost the rest of the world
    It would seem my network card is working because I can access router control pages, but I can't get anywhere else.
    I've tried 3 different wifi networks and a direct wired ethernet connection to no avail.
    Searching the problem turns up many similar problems but no definite answers, I have been a huge fan of Ubuntu, but after three weeks of this it's really making me consider looking elsewhere!
    Can anyone please help?
    Regards
    Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: No wired, wireless or ANSWERS with 13.04

Hi

This sounds to me like yuou don't have a default gateway. Could you post up the output of:

Code:
    route
    and

Code:
    ping -c3 8.8.8.8
    You can also try running:

Code:
    route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gw <ip address of router>
    to temporarily add a default gateway to confirm that this fixes the problem.

Hope this helps!

Barry
    Desktop: Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770k, NVidia GeForce 660 Ti Sli 16GB DDR3 RAM 2TB HDD
    OSes: Mint 14 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430
    OSes: Ubuntu 13.04 x64, Backtrack 5 R3

Beans

Hi Barry
    route gives me
    destination gateway genmask flags metric ref use iface
    default ufford.wifi.loc 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0
    10.9.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 9 0 0 wlan0
    link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 wlan0

The ping says
    From 10.9.0.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Net Prohibited

and has 3 goes before giving up

route add tells me I've made a syntax error but I can't spot one.

Any thoughts?
    Thank you very much for your suggestions
    Best
    Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi again

route add should have a sudo before but it looks like you already have a default gateway of 10.9.0.1 so assuming this is the correct address and not your laptops address then that's not your problem. You try to ping 8.8.8.8 and your router comes back saying net prohibited which basically means it's blocking you. You may want to have a look at the rules in place on the router. just to be double safe could you post up the output of:
    Code:
     ifconfig ; iwconfig ; echo -n "ufw " ; ufw status ; iptables --list
    Barry
    Last edited by PowerBarry43; May 14th, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Desktop: Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770k, NVidia GeForce 660 Ti Sli 16GB DDR3 RAM 2TB HDD
    OSes: Mint 14 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430
    OSes: Ubuntu 13.04 x64, Backtrack 5 R3

Beans

I have this same problem and it started recently. My wired and wireless have both stopped working/working intermittently. I sure would like a fix.

Beans

I did something that so far is working ok...

I opened network connections and deleted all the connections, rebooted, and re-added the ethernet connection. So far it is working well with no disconnects.

Beans

Further strange developments on this one.
    The problem first arose with hotel wifi, so I assumed it was that, but while there I tried two different mobile wifi hotspots from available phones, and it still couldn't get any further than the router control page. So I thought it must be my PC, that maybe I had updated incorrectly last time I used my home wifi and not restarted before coming to the hotel.
    However I got home end of last week and it worked first time with my home wifi as if nothing had ever been wrong!
    I didn't get round to posting the ifconfig etc output because I had to transcribe it by hand to the hotel computer in reception, so unfortunately I don't have a record of the network condition, but it seems so strange that it still hadn't worked with the separate mobile wifi hotspots. Could a defective hotel system (though it worked for everyone else) have been able to overwhelm the mobile outlets?
    I'm going to test it out somewhere with free wifi to see what that does. But my concern is that I have another 3.5 week trip away from home next week and I really don't want to be stuck without web again.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Robin