Thread: Installing Ubuntu on Windows 7 Computer - stuck at Preparing to Install screen

Beans

Installing Ubuntu on Windows 7 Computer - stuck at Preparing to Install screen

My father and I are trying to install Ubuntu (currently trying to install the 12.04 LTS) on an Acer Aspire One Netbook. I am already running Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop computer and decided to have fun on the netbook. We are however running into some problems. As this OP describes (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1692326), my install gets stuck at the "Preparing to Install" screen. We would like to get beyond this.

I am right now in GParted but am quite newb with this stuff. I do not exactly understand how partitions work. Ideally, we'd like to wipe out the windows partition and put Ubuntu on it. The partitions are as follows:

dev/sda1 --- ntfs ---- PQSERVICE -----12 GiB
    dev/sda2 --- ntfs ---- SYSTEM RESERVED ----- 100 MiB
    dev/sda3 --- ntfs ---- ACER ----- 137 GiB

Anyone can guide me beyond this step? Let me know if I do not need to play with GParted at all also.

Thanks!
    Last edited by camelface; May 13th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Installing Ubuntu on Windows 7 Computer - stuck at Preparing to Install screen

I don't understand if you're stuck because you don't know how to proceed or because something's going wrong with the installation procedure.
    If you want to wipe out the windows partition it should be easy, try to follow this guide

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu on Windows 7 Computer - stuck at Preparing to Install screen

Sorry that it was not clear enough. The process gets stuck by itself after I click "Continue" on the "Preparing to Install" screen. Something is going wrong: nothing happens after much waiting yet the mouse pointer turns into the loading icon.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you check the md5 sum of the downloaded .iso before burning to disk? Is it the same .iso burned to a CD that you used to install to Desktop and is that .iso 64 or 32 bit? Did the Netbook come with a full Windows OS or a starter Windows OS?

Beans

The netbook came with a starter windows I would say (one with just a start-up disk and no general windows disk). I've wiped all the partitions of their contents using GParted. I am trying to install now and the installer hasn't gone beyond the "Preparing to Install" screen.
    Last edited by camelface; May 13th, 2013 at 01:37 AM.

Beans

fixed. I put in 10.10 and that loader worked. Don't know why 12.04 didn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It's very strange, the Asus Aspire One should be certified for Ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...e/200908-3469/

so the installation shouldn't be problematic at all. Maybe you should try to
    install a later version of ubuntu or try to insist with the 12.04 in order to
    be able to give a try to the latest features