Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incremental backup between windows workstation and ubuntu

Beans

Incremental backup between windows workstation and ubuntu

Hi
    I'm begining in ubuntu world. I have several years of experience in windows, but ubuntu or other linux system I know nothing. So I'm asking for your help.
    I need a way to make backups between windows workstation and ubuntu. What would be the best way to do it?

I thank you in advance.

Best Regards
    Last edited by lbunbuntu; May 17th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Incremental backup between windows workstation and ubuntu

Hi lbunbuntu. Welcome to the forum

This would be the general idea:
    • Install 'samba' on Ubuntu.
    • Create a samba share on Ubuntu.
    • Test that you have access to the share from Windows.
    • Use any Windows backup software of your preference that supports backing up to a network share.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more details.
    Regards.

Beans

Thanks for your answer.

One of my problems is that the windows workstation is a remote one. And I have big files to backup.

I've read about using rsync/ssh and i think this would be a good solution because I can do a full backup for the first time and after i can do incremental backups. What is your opinion? Do you know where can I find help to create this solution?

Thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are several ports of rsync in Windows, e.g., deltacopy, cwRsync, or even the CygWwin framework.

However, if you are thinking on a more high level solution (that may even use rsync on the background), take a look at LuckyBackup, BackupPC, or even CrashPlan.

We may come out with better ideas if you tell us a little more about what you want to do. For instance:

Are the computer in different LANs then?
    Is one or both of the computers at a home?
    How much broad band do you have to make the transfer?

Regards.

Beans

I have several computers to make a backup copy, but none of them is in the same lan, so I need to make the backup over the internet. So let's say I have 3 computers in diferent locations. In those pc's I have broadband with a minimum of 8 mb download and 512 k upload, in my server I have 120mb download and 12 mb upload. The files I want to backup will have normal 3 gb. Thank you for your answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is what I would do:
    • Initiate the backup on the client side. That way you only need to open ports on one machine: the server.
    • Make sure your server has either a fully qualified domain name, an static public IP, or you have a subscription to a dynamic DNS service.
    • I would physically transfer the first full backup using an external media. This is because you are limited by the lowest transfer rate (512Kbps), and that means that a 3GB transfer would take about 13-14 hrs.
    • I would use rsync over ssh. I would install openssh-server on Ubuntu, create an special user for the transfer, and create one passwordless key for each client so they can create unattended scripts.

Does that help a little bit? Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Yes, that's help a lot. Can you tell me where can i find help to implement this solution? And if I user an external media for the first backup, can I do an incremental backup next time?

Thank you for all your answers. It's my first time in a forum and i'm a begginer in ububtu world ( i always worked with windows system's)

Best regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would start on a LAN setup first (as a control environment, think it as a testing lab). When you have work it locally, you could start testing from a remote location.

For the server part take a look at this tutorials:

For Windows. I took a look at several Windows clients, and I think this one would be the easiest: Duplicati. Start by reading their howtos, starting with this beginners video.

I hope that points you in the right direction. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Hi

When I create Public Keys, I think I should do it in my ubuntu server, right? If so, in ubuntu waht files should I have and where should I place them?

And in my windows workstation? what files should I have and where should I place them?

Thanks a lot for your support

Best regards

Beans

Hi

Thank you for all your support. I have finished my solution and know it's working fine. I had to pass some dificulties because it's my first time in linux world.

Best regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast