Thread: Can FinFisher infect Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Can FinFisher infect Ubuntu?

Thanks Lars,
    That's reassuring.
    paul

Beans

In general, Windows malware doesn't work on Linux, not even on Wine. These things invariably exploits a very specific hole in a Windows system, which doesn't exist in Linux.

That being said, it is possible to exploit a badly configured Linux system. If you use a kewl 4 letter password and installed VNC, FTP, Apache and other servers, then your system can possibly be hacked.

If you use a default Ubuntu installation and you set a 12 character password, then not.

So it is completely up to you, how hackable your system is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is always the posibility that there are unknown zero day exploits that someone could discover and develop exploit tools for.
    Unlikely, but yes it could happen. And if it does happen it will be big news.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you are running a default Ubuntu install, the root account is disabled, so no worries there. The user is the biggest security problem, make sure you set a strong password, and practice safe computing.
    No the problem is that root is disabled and you rely on sudo being secure. It is better to get rid of sudo alltogether and rely on having a strong root password and a strong user password. I cant stand sudo and is the first thing I always remove.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can't see sudo as being any less secure than root, with the same strong password. The big problem is using the root account improperly. The Debian way of doing things, is to have you create a root account along with a regular user account. You then use that normal user account, until you need to do something as an administrator.

To use the root account you then need to switch user:

Code:
    su root
    type your root password, and then type the command you want to use. Then when you are finished your administration task, switch back to your normal user. The one problem I see for those that have problems with passwords, is that they need to remember 2 passwords.

The Ubuntu way of doing things has you create just a user account, then when you need to do any system administration, you just type:

Code:
    sudo <command>
    and enter your password, or if it is a graphical program, press Alt-F2 and type:

Code:
    gksu <command>
    enter your password, and the program starts.

One thing I have to note, is that we all run as root when first using a Linux distribution other than Ubuntu, but as you gain experience, especially after making enough mistakes to destroy our running distribution several times, most of us opt for safety, instead of convenience.
    Last edited by cariboo907; May 30th, 2013 at 05:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    In general, Windows malware doesn't work on Linux, not even on Wine. These things invariably exploits a very specific hole in a Windows system, which doesn't exist in Linux.

That being said, it is possible to exploit a badly configured Linux system. If you use a kewl 4 letter password and installed VNC, FTP, Apache and other servers, then your system can possibly be hacked.

If you use a default Ubuntu installation and you set a 12 character password, then not.

So it is completely up to you, how hackable your system is.
    Not really. By default Ubuntu isn't very secure at all. It's maybe on par with Windows 7, depending on the software you use. It takes some effort to make it secure, especially if we're talking about government malware like mentioned in the first post.

The password doesn't factor into it much.

Beans

One thing I have to note, is that we all run as root when first using a Linux distribution other than Ubuntu, but as you gain experience, especially after making enough mistakes to destroy our running distribution several times, most of us opt for safety, instead of convenience.
    Yeah, even when using other distros I prefer to use sudo which escalates adminstrative privilege for just the current commands. I am nervous about running a session as root. I haven't looked into the details but it seems that if there is a root there are certain things even sudoers don't have the permisison to do, it will only work by becoming root (su to root) I have encountered that quite often in Fedora.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Yeah, even when using other distros I prefer to use sudo which escalates adminstrative privilege for just the current commands. I am nervous about running a session as root. I haven't looked into the details but it seems that if there is a root there are certain things even sudoers don't have the permisison to do, it will only work by becoming root (su to root) I have encountered that quite often in Fedora.
    I have yet to find a task that:

Code:
    sudo -i
    will not take care of. I'm sure there are some corner cases that I haven't run into, that you actually need to be root to accomplish.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Code:
    sudo -i
    will not take care of. I'm sure there are some corner cases that I haven't run into, that you actually need to be root to accomplish.
    One of the bigger advantages of sudo comes with multi-user systems. With sudo it's possible to give permission to just specific tools and tasks.

Beans

Code:
    sudo -i
    Like cd into /root . I use checkinstalll to compile programs in Fedora too. Unlike in Ubuntu, sudo checkinstall doesn't automatically install the package, instead it creates a .rpm inside a subfolder of /root created by rpmbuild . But if I try to install the package with "sudo rpm -i pathtorpm" it will say permission denied and even just cd-ing into the the root directory is not permitted (I don't understand why sudo checkinstall is allowed to dump a package there in the first place) , however, if I actually become root (su) then it is ok.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 2nd, 2013 at 09:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast