Thread: clamscan -- what to do with all the false positives

Beans

clamscan -- what to do with all the false positives

I get about 100 Windows system files that show up as Trojans, example:

Code:
    /media/ext4/Backup/Archive/Hardware/Networking/Cisco-Linksys WPC54G Wireless-G Notebook Adapter/WPC54Gv3_V1[1].0.4.4,0/WPC54Gv3_V1.0.4.4/BCMLib/AegisE5.dll: Win.Trojan.Fakesmoke-117 FOUND
    I could add --exclude=REGEX but the command line would become enormous.

Is there a convenient way to whitelist files?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: clamscan -- what to do with all the false positives

Unfortunately these kinds of false positives seem to be par for the course with ClamAV. I attribute it to the fact that anyone can post virus signatures, and the review process, based on volunteer help, seems less than stringent. We use SquidClamAV to scan every web object and get false positives from legitimate sites like WindowsUpdate and HP all the time. I suspect, without any proof, that there are a number of anti-MS types who report as trojans things like bundled installers for other software packages. In these cases, ClamAV is often the only scanner who reports these items as trojans, which raises my suspicions about the submission and review processes.

For example, in late March the scanner reported that a file from windowsupdate.com contained "Win.Trojan.Rbot-90." However ClamAV is the only scanner that reports this file's signature as a trojan: http://r.virscan.org/311f07b90d67b3fe7778ef9aff0ab807. This is not the only instance of a trojan allegedly being found in a file from WindowsUpdate either. Obviously if Microsoft were distributing update files with trojans in them, it would have been all over the tech news pages long ago.

I don't see any solution to this problem, nor, unfortunately, do I see an easy whitelisting method either. Unlike programs like rsync, clamscan doesn't seem to support using inclusion and exclusion lists stored in a text file.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 16th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you. It looks like they consider Microsoft Internet Explorer to be Trojan as well:

Code:
    /media/w7/Windows/winsxs/wow64_microsoft-windows-i..etexplorer-optional_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.16385_none_19ba3f8a72d988f3/iexplore.exe: Win.Trojan.Bamital-996 FOUND
    Is there a better virus scanner for Linux? I think malware in Linux OS is very unlikely, I'm more concerned with Windows and Windows VMs. ClamAV will check VMs as long as they're running if you specify ~/.gvfs/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are commercial scanners available for Linux from places like Kaspersky.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I'm trying AVG, no false positives so far. I have Windows VMs running and mounted but I'm getting "permission denied". Any ideas?

Code:
    sudo avgscan ~/.gvfs   
    AVG command line Anti-Virus scanner
    Copyright (c) 2013 AVG Technologies CZ

Virus database version: 3162/6331
    Virus database release date: Fri, 17 May 2013 06:16:00 -0400

/.gvfs  Object scan failed; Permission denied