Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grumbling again about Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Grumbling again about Linux

Maybe you could give Linux Mint a try. This comment is not based on the issues with your network card/connectivity but in a more general perspective. Mint is also based on Ubuntu though they do have a Debian fork as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think your best bet if you're really interested in using Linux and not just getting it set up, is to have someone else set it up for you.

Not sure where in Ohio you are, but there are Linux installfests, where people can actually help you get up and running (for free). Here's one, for example:
    http://www.meetup.com/LaunchHouse/events/117572892/

Otherwise, buy it preinstalled. Here are three examples:
    http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd
    http://zareason.com/shop/Laptops/
    https://www.system76.com/laptops/

Beans

I'll have to revisit this thread later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I haven't used linux as long as some of you guys, but finding a distro that works on your computer isn't usually that difficult. The only reason why I still have a computer with Windows around, is because of certain programs that do NOT work in Linux, even under wine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmartian View Post
    I'm now almost 71 years old.
    Henceforth I will address thee as Sir! My parents were always smacking into me on how to respect your elders

Sorry but I don't have anything constructive to add to your gripe, maybe try out some distros outside of the Ubuntu fold? "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm now almost 71 years old. I've been involved with computers since their infancy. I grew up with MSDOS. I ebraced Windows. Until it got unweildly.
    Yeah, well I am almost there myself. I was in the Air Force before the "Internet" and grew up 1st with mainframes all the way to distributed servers. {SHUDDER} Geez, I am getting old.

Anyhow before I digress too much, I see what you're saying. However think about all the things you learned or relearned from using Ubuntu. You have kept up on it all and I would think in large part thanks should be given to this OS. Yes, we are or have been the lucky ones. The individuals that have been subjected to Windows and plug 'n Play gain nothing in the exchange. That is except ease. Allow you to think, "Oh Well it just works.". Our jobs at our age is to relay our wisdom while NEVER forgetting that younger people may have BETTER ideas. So do that.

I think the dev's of Linux know this. Yes, they ease things but keep them open to learn. That is something I NEVER want to stop doing. Learning. If I did, give me a pumped up thin client and put on Counter Strike and lead me to my bed to play and play. Nope, thanks to the dev's I continue learning. I learn hardware, electronics, coding, ...name it.

I haven't had any issues that took more than a couple hours to fix unless waiting for a bug fix. So don't stop.

Warprunner is off his soapbox.
    Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It seems like an obvious driver issue, however if you post a followup post to this one, please post a link. I'd be happy to follow any follow-up thread since I'm fairly certain there is a solution. And lastly -- if you don't want to kind of "tinker" with your system, why in the heck do you want to use Linux?? Linux is a hobbyist and tinker's paradise. It works for many out of the box, however there are also many that just need a little TLC to get it to work. Your problems are quite common -- at least they appear to be on the surface -- which makes me think there is probably an easy work around -- but you are going to have to get your hands dirty at the command line!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So, why would a Live CD of Ubuntu 13.x connect to the Internet, Windows 8 would connect to the Internet, but a Live CD of 12.4.2 won't. Nothing's changed on the computer. And I'm running a screaming Gigabyte GA-Z77x-Ud3x (not overclocked - yet) with 16 GB ram and a fistful of hard drives and using cable for my Internet service.

this question is easy to answer. In linux drivers are part of kernel (core). They are often built in except in certian specific cases where to improve system performance closed source proprietary drivers need to be downloaded and installed.

now then - 12.04 is from year 2012 (12) April (.04). It's kernel could be a little bit older not sure about it at the moment.
    13.04 is from year 2013 (13) April (.04) - so it has relatively current stable kernel. Probably one from this year or end of last year. Now your hardware is new (indicated by Windows 8). so for best match with your hardware use 13.04.

furthermore commands can be copied and pasted into terminal. people often give them because they are faster (just copy paste and enter instead of running multiple apps clickign all arround) and because they work on different desktops (e.g. Kubutnu has a very different desktop environemnt from Ubuntu) and also in some cases different distributions (e.g. some command from Debian will work on UBuntu as well as on Linux Mint).

i wish i could help you with UEFi issue (i haven't run into it yet). But UEFI secureboot is sort of brain child from Microsoft. they say it is for security but in reality it only makes harder for other operating systems (Linux, MacOS) to be installed on PC. windows 8 compatible motherboards should have disabel secureboot switch. many come with enabled and widnows 8 preinstalled.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Thx Ranko.
    I got the 12.04.2 at the Ubuntu site, so yeah, my Mobo could be newer than 12.04.2.
    I like Ubuntu 13.1 better, anyway. Now I'm hung up on the wording of the partition screens...
    What forum would you recommend for this (13.1)?

Beans

Thx Ranko.
    I got the 12.04.2 at the Ubuntu site, so yeah, my Mobo could be newer than 12.04.2.
    I like Ubuntu 13.1 better, anyway. Now I'm hung up on the wording of the partition screens...
    What forum would you recommend for this (13.1)?
    Just post in the General section, and someone will be happy to help you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast