Thread: QJack problem after installing ALSA Mixer

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

QJack problem after installing ALSA Mixer

Hi everyone!

First of all I would like to say that I am an Ubuntu enthusiast, my knowledge is basic as a simple user but I do like to experiment and try different functionalities and software.

Overview:
    As a musician, I use QJack along with Guitarix and other programs such as Audacity, Ardour, Hydrogen, Reason... Until yesterday everything was working fine although I had the "brilliant" idea to try to get sound output from my speakers and headphone set at the same time. After some forum and google searches, it seemed that ALSA Mixer could be the solution but I was not able to achieve my goal (If anyone could help me with this issue I would appreciate!). I sometimes use my sound card for audio input (Line-in or Mic entry), and other times an USB device when I do not have a Mixing table at hand. After having installed ALSA Mixer, my idea of having 2 sound output at the same time did not work, thus I removed it from my system.

The problem:
    What happens now is that I have a sort of "by-pass" using my Line-in and QJack has no effect on it -> I disconnect everything and the sound continues to play. Even with all the connections properly connected it makes no input at all. I also noted that even without QJack, my line-in plays sound but do not make any input to any software, e.g. Audacity (Using ALSA and configuring the entry to Line-in).

Note:
    None of the above applies when I use my mic entry as everything works as it should, the problem only affects the Line-in.

Everything happened after I installed and un-installed ALSA Mixer so I presume it to be the source of the problem, unfortunately with my poor knowledge I am unable to revert the situation now. I searched forums and googled about this but I was not able to find a solution to my problem. I really appreciate some help about this as I really want to make it work again as it was!!!

Thank you very much in advance.
    Last edited by Atitudes; May 28th, 2013 at 09:26 PM.