Thread: Dragging web browser with Middle mouse isn't working.

Beans

Question Dragging web browser with Middle mouse isn't working.

In windows if I press the middle mouse button within Chrome I'm able to drag the page up and down at my leisure, but in Chromium and Firefox in Xubuntu it does nothing.

Is there anyway to fix this? The middle mouse button works for everything else (opening new tab.. ect) just not this.

Can someone please help?

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Dragging web browser with Middle mouse isn't working.

Open "about:config" in a new tab in Firefox.

Search for middlemouse

You're welcome. Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Understand that some laptops have a strange middle button, like this Acer Extensa. It's actually a mini D-pad that scrolls up and down and side to side. You can sometimes fake the middle button by pushing the left and right buttons at the same time. Not convenient, but a work around.
    Last edited by tgalati4; May 12th, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    You're going to have to more specific, I clicked the link and I got a page not found.

And I'm on a desktop not a laptop, I didn't say anything about being on a laptop and they don't generally have a middle mouse button.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamRabbit View Post
    You're going to have to more specific, I clicked the link and I got a page not found.

And I'm on a desktop not a laptop, I didn't say anything about being on a laptop and they don't generally have a middle mouse button.
    http://about:config doesn't work in chromium, it's where you find your settings in firefox. Chromium has a chrome://settings/ page, but I've a feeling you won't find what you want there either.

Besides (something you might also be displeased with), in the GUI's used on linux, the middle mouse button is used for fast pasting. This probably means you can't use it the way you want to, unless you rewrite that part of (I assume) unity. Fast pasting is even better than the scrolling function, in my not so humble opinion. Just select some text point your mouse to a place where you can paste into (the search box on this page for example) and click the middle button. When ever I'm using windows and I try to do the same I feel a little disabled . I hope you'll learn to love it too and can live without the scrolling function.

Beans

Red face Re: Dragging web browser with Middle mouse isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    http://about:config doesn't work in chromium, it's where you find your settings in firefox. Chromium has a chrome://settings/ page, but I've a feeling you won't find what you want there either.

Besides (something you might also be displeased with), in the GUI's used on linux, the middle mouse button is used for fast pasting. This probably means you can't use it the way you want to, unless you rewrite that part of (I assume) unity. Fast pasting is even better than the scrolling function, in my not so humble opinion. Just select some text point your mouse to a place where you can paste into (the search box on this page for example) and click the middle button. When ever I'm using windows and I try to do the same I feel a little disabled . I hope you'll learn to love it too and can live without the scrolling function.
    Aww man, that's a real shame. I've noticed it does the fast paste thing before and to be honest I was little confused at first. It does seem pretty neat and I'll have to keep in mind to actually use it every know and then.

I only really want to be able to drag a website with it because it's so much quicker then scrolling around, oh well maybe when I'm better at programming I can re-write that part of unity.

Thanks.