Thread: How to force ubuntu to play sound through built in speakers in a laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to force ubuntu to play sound through built in speakers in a laptop?

Hi!

I accidentally broke by headphone connector in my Acer Aspire 7540G laptop and now it's constantly thinking that headphones are connected even though they aren't (I have no way to even connect them anymore). It doesn't play any sounds through the speakers, so now I don't have any sound at all. I've tried playing around in Gnome's sound settings (selecting "speakers" as output and increasing volume) and alsamixer (it didn't show anything about muted speakers, nothing was muted there) and nothing worked. Is there some way to just disable headphones autodetection?

And if I got a USB to mini jack adapter like this one http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAU...+audio+adapter would my headphones work on Ubuntu when connected by USB that way?

EDIT: I fixed it! There was an "auto mute mode" in alsamixer, but I missed it earlier because it was kind of hidden. I'm still curious about the USB adapter for headphones, though.
    Last edited by Starlight; May 11th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

^_^