Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP w/ chrubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

HELP w/ chrubuntu!

hi there:

I installed chrubuntu on my Acer 7 chromebook some months ago and have been happily using it ever since as the default OS ... until last night when my husband turned on my machine while i was in the other room AND hit the space bar, thereby taking it out of developer mode and into Chrome.

So here's my problem -- and my research into the online sources has not given me quite enough insight to quite figure this out for myself.

If I reset the developer mode (power button + F3 + Esc), will that reset the entire DRIVE (which is really my chrubuntu install) or just the chrome partition? Once I'm in dev-mode, will I ostensibly be able to boot back into the chrubuntu OS because the script pointing to it as the default OS is still there? And actually, how does one switch from OS to OS? (Without the crouton install) I'm guessing it's at the log-in but I don't actually know how to do that either.

I hope this is obvious to some kind-hearted reader out there. I can usually figure out what to do from the forum's excellent posts, but I'm stumped here.

Thanks!
    ~chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: HELP w/ chrubuntu!

Moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also had a tough time finding any definitive answers on whether getting into developer mode again would wipe an existing partition or just the ChromeOS partition. My guess would be that Google would make it so that going in and out of developer mode would take the device back to factory settings (so taking out the Ubuntu partition).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ayisu:

Thanks for your reply. I'm still researching all the internet sources that I can find. If it'll be helpful to others, I'll post what I eventually discover to this forum (sortof a modern morality tale!)

~chris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, pokeyflan. I'd be curious to know, certainly, even though I use Crouton instead of a dual-boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, I guess if I have to reinstall, I can try the crouton route instead of the dual-boot!

~chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Acoording to this source (seems reliable) everything will be wyped.
    When you disable Developer Mode, your Chromebook will clean everything up, restoring you to a clean, safe locked-down Chrome OS system and overwriting all the changes you’ve made to your Chromebook’s software.
    We seek to resolve frustration and abide in a comfortable, relaxed mind. We call that 'happiness'. And still I believe in that next upgrade...
    --dell xps m1330 t9300 2.5ghz 4gb 320Gb Nvidia 8400m gs--
    --lenovo w520 2720QM 8Gb Nvidia Quadro 1000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Bro:

Yeah, that does seem to be what I am finding in my internet searching. I was maybe hoping someone else has dealt with the same issue, but maybe not!

~chris

Quote Originally Posted by bro View Post
    Acoording to this source (seems reliable) everything will be wyped.

Beans

Make him sleep on the couch tonight

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

OK, something similar happened to me. When you get the angry "no OS found" screen, just keep hitting ctrl-d until you get the Developer mode? screen, then git it back into dev mode.

It worked for me...

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast