Thread: Parsing html content with grep

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Parsing html content with grep

I have a html page things like this in it:
    Code:
    <a id="p1874298" href="index.php?page=post&amp;s=view&amp;id=1874298">
    How do I use grep to output only the number (i.e. "1874298")? So far this is what I have:
    Code:
    wget -O - example.com | grep -m 1 --only-matching --perl-regexp '<a id=\"[^<>]*'
    But that doesn't fully work...
    The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life.
    ~Sigmund Freud

Beans

Re: Parsing html content with grep

Code:
    wget -O - example.com | sed s'/^.*id=\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/'

Beans
    Distro

So then, would this be the best way to do it?
    Code:
    wget -O - example.com | grep -m 1 --only-matching --perl-regexp '<a id=\"[^<>]*' | sed s'/^.*id=\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/'
    Isn't there a better way do do this, rather than using grep and sed? I'm sure it can be done with grep alone.
    The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life.
    ~Sigmund Freud

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold1995 View Post
    So then, would this be the best way to do it?
    Code:
    wget -O - example.com | grep -m 1 --only-matching --perl-regexp '<a id=\"[^<>]*' | sed s'/^.*id=\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/'
    Isn't there a better way do do this, rather than using grep and sed? I'm sure it can be done with grep alone.
    Why did you add that grep back into the command I posted? You only need sed.

Beans

I just realised you probably want to filter other lines out and just grab the number[s] from all the input. So you want something like:
    Code:
    wget -O - example.com | sed -n '/<a id=/s/^.*id=\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/p'

Beans
    Distro

So then if I wanted to only output the FIRST number, would it be best to pipe that to "head -1"? Or does sed have a feature like grep's "-m 1"?
    ~Sigmund Freud

Beans

Yes, If I wanted only the first line of output then I would just add a "| head -1" on that sed line.

However, if you want a more robust solution to parse xml/html tagged data from the command line then I would look at using xmlstarlet. I have used xmlstarlet previously and it is excellent.