Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: What OS do you prefer?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Aether
    Beans
    34
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    What OS do you prefer?

    I am now using ubuntu 12.04 lts and it seems that ubuntu made me very satisfied, maybe because of its style and features

    but can you suggest another OS that i can install to my other partition? im thinking now of Pear linux ? or maybe windows xp?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    25

    Re: What OS do you prefer?

    Try Linux Mint 13 KDE, based on Ubuntu / Kubuntu 12.04, but different. Or very different is CrunchBang #!
    Last edited by excollier; May 11th, 2013 at 12:02 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    100

    Re: What OS do you prefer?

    Try Fedora or openSUSE because they will give you something quite different.

    According to Mutkwear, openSUSE is a elite dsitro, which either means it's very good or that Mutkwear needs to engage more with the concept of proofreading.

    I prefer Fedora but expect to be puzzled how to set up Flash etc.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    4

    Re: What OS do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post

    I prefer Fedora but expect to be puzzled how to set up Flash etc.
    I see this remark all the time when people talk about Fedora.
    The answer however is as easy as this:

    http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=fedora_setup

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hartford City, Indiana US
    Beans
    1,299
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: What OS do you prefer?

    I am a big PCLinuxOS fan because it has worked so many times where other distros have failed me. I always have current applications and I never have to jump through hoops to have things working like they should. Plymouth always displays right and the bfs kernel is great. The PCLInuxOS Team really put a lot of thought and hard work into making PCLinuxOS.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    100

    Re: What OS do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk999 View Post
    I see this remark all the time when people talk about Fedora.
    The answer however is as easy as this:

    http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=fedora_setup
    Don't like encouraging the use of third party software like Easylife.

    How to install Flash on Fedora

    1. Visit http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

    2. Select YUM package from dropdown

    3. Save package

    4. Change to your downloads directory, for example:
    Code:
    cd Downloads
    5. Finally, type the following commands into the terminal

    Code:
    su -c 'rpm Uvh adobe-release.etc.etc.etc.rpm'
    
    su -c 'yum update'
    
    su -c 'yum install flash-plugin' (press "y" when prompted to accept Adobe's key)
    
    su -c 'yum install bsd-games' (optional)

    You can directly install the adobe package from the site via Yumex (and update and install flash-plugin) but I had problems with that for some reason this week, so I don't want to recommend that.

    Not difficult but harder than a tickbox during installation.
    Last edited by iamkuriouspurpleoranj; May 11th, 2013 at 02:11 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    4

    Re: What OS do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Don't like encouraging the use of third party software like Easylife.
    Because?

    Both Easylife and AutoTen have always worked fine for me. I never had any problem with them. But if you have different en better info on this I am happy to hear it.
    Now it seems you are making a baseless assumption without any argument or explanation.

    Besides you claimed that:

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post

    I prefer Fedora but expect to be puzzled how to set up Flash etc.
    Seems you are moving the goalposts.

    First you claim that you have to "expect to be puzzled how to set up Flash".
    Then when I show that it is in fact very easy to do, you switch context and claim now to have a unspecified problem with Easylife.


    That however is a personal preference and has nothing to so with being puzzled when installing Flash.
    Installing Flash on Fedora is a simple two click process. Nothing puzzling about it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Beans
    37

    Re: What OS do you prefer?

    If you choose to be advanced ubuntu user try to learn Debian. I think it is valuable to know it because Ubuntu, Mint are derivatives of it.
    Last edited by xoomer.ap; May 11th, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Respectfully, xoomer.ap.
    .:[Core i5 430M, 6Gb DDR3, Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 500 Gb HDD; Debian Wheezy/Linux Mint Xfce Nadya]:.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,028

    Re: What OS do you prefer?


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    670
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: What OS do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by nsync View Post
    I am now using ubuntu 12.04 lts and it seems that ubuntu made me very satisfied, maybe because of its style and features

    but can you suggest another OS that i can install to my other partition? im thinking now of Pear linux ? or maybe windows xp?
    Since you like Ubuntu, then possibly install Saucy (Ubuntu 13.10) to keep up with changes in Ubuntu. This is a development version that I'm currently testing on a flash drive.
    I've installed Linux Mint 14 also.

    The decision should be based on your purpose of installing another OS.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •