Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java, C and C++ in Ubuntu

Beans

Java, C and C++ in Ubuntu

Hey guys! I've used Ubuntu in the past (and absolutely loved the environment) but last time I used it, I was more or less just playing around with it. Recently I've been taking a programming class in Java and I've had so much fun with it. I do have a few quick questions about the Ubuntu platform and writing code though.

1. Does is automatically come with a JVM and C/C++ Compiler?
    2. What IDE would you recommend for writing code on Ubuntu? (I am using Netbeans on Windows and Mac OS X)
    3. What scripting language do you prefer? Python, Ruby or Perl? I haven't done any scripting yet, but plan to do so in the future.

As I was saying, before I was more or less playing with Ubuntu, but now I have put serious thought into doing open source development on the side as a hobby. I love the open source community and would like to see it thrive and I would like to be a contributing member. I also have one more thing. What books would you recommend I buy to learn C/C++ and scripting languages? I am thinking of doing some serious development and writing code for the Ubuntu community. By the way, what kind of code is the Ubuntu community looking for? What do you guys really want as a general user? Are you looking for games, music, movies, various multimedia editors? I just want to know what is popular so that I can be writing code where it is really needed/wanted.

Thank you!
    Last edited by saribeiro; May 12th, 2013 at 01:42 AM.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Java, C and C++ in Ubuntu

I can't help you with the first 3 questions (I use C and C++ -> you should have gcc, but there are other things needed as well (all free). Some people say it's not needed because it's for package development, but the build-essential package includes lots of things in the way of dependencies, and those things make things easier. There are many IDE's out there - I use CodeBlocks, but I don't know if you can use it for Java or not. Linux also has many libraries you may at one time or another need depending on what you are developing. The beauty is that you can just Synaptic package manaer or the Software Center to install those as needed.

As far as what to develop, you may want to check and see what you can do to help support Ubuntu. Sometimes there are programming things that need to be done, sometimes scripting, etc.. It would be a way to give back to the community as your skills increase.

Beans

I also have another question that I just thought of. I really love the Ubuntu font and I want to get the Ubuntu font in my installation of LaTeX. I have a MacBook Pro, it runs Mac OS X Version 10.8.2 and I have TexStudio running on my Mac. Is there any way I can import the Ubuntu font to TeX?

Beans

Oh ok! Thanks a lot! Are you a developer for the Ubuntu community? I'm just trying to gain as much coding experience as I can. I find coding and programming experiences invaluable because I use programs for so much of my work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Netbeans is available in the software center for Ubuntu, and Code::Blocks is as well. Both are powerful and work well with Ubuntu.

Many people prefer just using something simple like Geany, which is also excellent. Just try them and see which you are most comfortable with.

Also, write code for things you are interested in, you'll have much better quality of work and it will much more fun. Chances are if you are interested in it, others will be too.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; May 11th, 2013 at 04:38 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

Does the Code::Blocks IDE come with a compilers bundled with the software, or will I need to install those separately?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It's been a while since I've used it, but it seemed to me code compiled right out of the box with that program. I wrote a couple C++ programs with it, but can't remember exactly what I did now.

May have been a couple Z factor solvers or something.

Just download it and try to create a simple "Hello World" program to see if its working for you.

Most programming I do now is in VBA unfortunately, or BASH script if I need to do something silly in Linux.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; May 11th, 2013 at 05:01 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by saribeiro View Post
    Oh ok! Thanks a lot! Are you a developer for the Ubuntu community? I'm just trying to gain as much coding experience as I can. I find coding and programming experiences invaluable because I use programs for so much of my work.
    I haven't been yet. I keep trying to decide if I know enough to be helpful.

Beans

I recently took up Java, I downloaded Open JDK 7 to run my Java apps and a IDE called IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition. I find it is the best IDE for Java I have used. You can install both from software centre to.

Personally I would go for python as a scripting language
    Last edited by Zerochilli; May 11th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.

Beans

> Does the Code::Blocks IDE come with a compilers bundled with the software, or will I need to install those separately?

It depends from IDE packet dependences. Generally for C++ your system needs have g++ installed, which goes with libstdc++ (stdlib) alongside. Just watch to compiler' terminal - it determine what you are not install yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast