Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Java, C and C++ in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Java, C and C++ in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by saribeiro View Post
    I also have another question that I just thought of. I really love the Ubuntu font and I want to get the Ubuntu font in my installation of LaTeX. I have a MacBook Pro, it runs Mac OS X Version 10.8.2 and I have TexStudio running on my Mac. Is there any way I can import the Ubuntu font to TeX?
    You can download the Ubuntu fonts from the website...

http://font.ubuntu.com/
    Cheesemill

Beans

1. Does is automatically come with a JVM and C/C++ Compiler?
    C/C++ Yes got GCC by default, JVM no need to install OpenJDK Java runtime.
    2. What IDE would you recommend for writing code on Ubuntu? (I am using Netbeans on Windows and Mac OS X)
    C/C++: Eclipse Or Qt , Java : Eclipse
    3. What scripting language do you prefer? Python, Ruby or Perl? I haven't done any scripting yet, but plan to do so in the future.
    Python (all 3 are some what similar , you can also try learning alongside.

Beans

I've seen where you can download it from, but how do I import it into TexStudio?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by saribeiro View Post
    I've seen where you can download it from, but how do I import it into TexStudio?
    I've never used OS X myself, but a quick search came up with this...
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2435

Just extract the downloaded fonts to one of these locations and it should be available from any installed application.
    Cheesemill

*READ THIS ONLY IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO RUN A C++ PROGRAM ON UBUNTU*

Ok, here is the complete explanation of how to run a program in C++. After you write the program you want in a text pad, save it as "_____.cpp", then save it in a directory you want (for simplicity say "Documents"). Next open the command prompt and "cd" to Documents, finally type "g++ -o [name you want to give the executable version] _____.cpp". For example:

cd Documents
    g++ -o hello HelloWorld.cpp

Remember, the part after the -o is the name you WANT to give the executable program. Now to run it:

./hello

This should work for all C++ programs, I hope this helped you with the compiling piece.
    Last edited by KARNVORbeefRAGE; May 11th, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

After installing the fonts using the links Cheesemill gave you and checking that the new fonts are correctly installed (try to use it in Office/LibreOffice or any other similar software) using them with latex requires you to use xelatex to compile your tex file in order to be able to access the system fonts. Here's a link with some infos and an example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XeTeX

Using xelatex instead of latex requires only some changes in the document preamble, as far as I know most of the latex packages work with xelatex too.

Beans

Ok, thank you guys for all your help! It's been really good having you guys around to help me around with my questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12