Thread: minecraft freezes Ubuntu Linux help!

Beans

minecraft freezes Ubuntu Linux help!

minecraft freezes Ubuntu thats alll i can say i cant do any thing all i can do is move the mouse nothing else

It does this with the FTB mod packs and the big dig mod pack please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: minecraft freezes Ubuntu Linux help!

this actually does not happened to me , the minecraft forums could help you. but did minecraft work before you installedthose mods? what version of minecraft are you using? what ubuntu version are you using? more inFO = more help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

And what video card and drivers are you using. I have not tried any mods or textures lately, but when I did, the only way I could get everything working together was with MultiMC. I did not have any success trying to manually install mods directly into minecraft (note that until 1.6 comes out which hopefully will have a common API, mods have to be specifically for the minecraft version).

I have run plain minecraft on a 2 core 1 GHz AMD-50 tablet PC with 2 GB RAM and keyboard and wireless mouse, ATI HD 6250 video w/fglrx drivers 1280x800 in 64-bit Ubuntu (or Lubuntu w/common /home) 12.04 booted from 32 GB SD card. That is a minimal system that does not run it very quickly, but works when out of town.

It might be very sluggish and unplayable on an old laptop with integrated Intel video (like my 1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo from 2006).
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans

This happens when I am playing minecraft and suddenly I either minimize or switch to another workspace. Minimizing causes me some freezing for like 50 seconds, but switching workspace may cause it to freeze for a longer period. Once the window is active again, the freeze stops.

I think the minecraft developers have put in code to prevent people from using mods and cheater software, so that's why it's going so slowly when you minimize the window or switch workspace. The developers put some DRM-like technology in there, that causes these freezes.
    The only solution is to not unfocus your Minecraft window. If you have to switch workspace, just quit minecraft first. For me this problem happens a lot and it's very annoying.
    Last edited by towardsoss; August 8th, 2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: More clear on the subject

Beans

Minecraft had a bad habit of freezing when I ran mods. Try installing the OptiFine mod (Just search the Minecraft forums for OptiFine), and just playing around with your graphics settings, that's what always helped me.