Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 - Little to no wireless connectivity

Hybrid View

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu 13.04 - Little to no wireless connectivity

I would post this in the wireless/networking forum, but I'm really new to Ubuntu still and I was overwhelmed when I tried to find an answer there. All I know is that I'm on my Windows partition at the moment, and I have full wireless strength. When I switch to Ubuntu, I have literally no signal strength at all. It keeps connecting and then disconnecting over and over again, which shouldn't be happening because the connection is CLEARLY strong enough to reach the wireless adapter.

I want to be able to use Ubuntu as my primary OS on this laptop, but it just won't connect to about 75% of the connections my Windows side picks up flawlessly.

I'm not entirely sure what my wireless adapter's make is, but I know it's an "N" card (It says "Ralink Technology, Corp." in the info when I look at it in the device manager in Windows. Also on the list is "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"... Is there a driver or something that I can install to fix the issues they're having in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 - Little to no wireless connectivity

When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to ​Networking and Wireless

Hello!

Even if you didn't find the answer you were looking for, this is still the best place to wait and let the answer come to you!

Best wishes!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Alright, according to everything, my wireless card's brand and model were identified, and I believe it's running the correct kernel driver.

I checked nm-tool, and it says I have at least 45-56 strength for all connections, meaning for something as simple as Google Docs, this should not be an issue. However, it appears to never connect, or say it's connected and never load anything.