A family friend gave me an old computer (c. 2006) to play around with. I installed lubuntu 13.04, and it works pretty well. Unfortunately, the wireless is kinda wacky. On the first install, it would connect through network-manager without a hitch. I learned how to use wget and downloaded a few other applications. Suddenly, the wireless no longer worked, and in my many attempts to reconnect, I ended up bricking the system.

I connected the computer with ethernet and did a fresh install last night, but the wireless still doesn't work. I install WICD, as per another thread's suggestion. It seems to work better than nm, which i uninstalled, but it hangs up when trying to validate the connection.

I've tried using iwconfig, iwlist, wpa_supplicant, etc. None of these seem to work. I'm kind of a newb, but I can follow directions pretty well.

I have to type all this by hand on another computer, so please don't ask me for hundreds of lines of output. :) I'll post any necessary information, but here's what I think to be germane:

wireless hardware: DLink USB, model# DWL-G122 B1 (no internal wifi card)
card name: wlan0
network encryption: WPA2 PSK

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
yep, i made sure the device is on.

iwlist wlan0 s
this correctly identifies my network.

iwconfig wlan0
identifies card wlan0 just fine.
(output): IEEE 802.11bg ESSID: off/any Mode: Managed Frequency: 2.447 GHz Access Point: Not-associated TX-Power=20 dBm Retry long limit:7 FTR thr: off Fragment thr:off Power Management:on

i can assign an essid to wlan0 with
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid my_network

no problem here, and it shows up correctly on iwconfig wlan0, as well.

i made a wpa_supplicant.conf document at /etc. It's reproduced below:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ap_scan=2
network={
ssid="my_network"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
#psk="my_password"
psk=hex_my_password
}

when i run sudo wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dwext, the output is nonsensical. sometimes it says ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument. i often get association request to the driver failed

I installed WICD, and have tried all this with the GUI frontend. No dice. Any ideas?