Thread: Gnome Shell Broken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Gnome Shell Broken

I was previously using Gnome Shell 3.8 from the gnome3 repository but I wanted to go back to 3.6 so I removed the repository and reinstalled gnome-shell but when logged in it doesn't display any panel or launcher or anything, just desktop pattern. I've completely reinstalled the system and kept my /home partition but still the same problem, so I'm assuming I need to delete a config folder to get it working again. I've tried deleting ~/.gnome but still no joy. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by jim_deadlock; June 28th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Gnome Shell Broken

I see a gnome session folder in .config, but it is empty on my installation and appears to be for saved sessions. Not having used a separate home partition I am not sure what is saved from the previous installation, is it home folders and hidden only or are there folders from the root file system as well ?
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

My root filesystem is completely fresh, and I've also tried installing the system with a new /home - in which case it works fine. So I'm 100% sure that something in my original /home is causing the problems, if I could just find out what to remove I would be fine. If nobody knows then I suppose I'll have to use a new /home and manually copy the folders over one by one, but I'd rather avoid that if possible because I have a not of stuff!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'd guess the problem resides in some hidden config file, the question is which one? Did you start with a standard Ubuntu install then added gnome-shell? Have you tried removing gnome-shell then rebooting? After the restart reinstall gnome-shell.

Beans
    Distro

Yes I did originally add gnome-shell to the standard unity system and then I upgraded it to 3.8 from the gnome3 repository so it's all a bit of a mess really. I have tried removing it, rebooting, reinstalling several times but unfortunately the installation doesn't overwrite any existing config files in /home so the problems persist whatever I do. Anyway, I'm now moving my old /home to make room for a new one and then I'll gradually copy stuff over so by process of elimination I should eventually find out which folder was breaking it. The partition move is taking 7.5 hours on my 2Tb drive! Should have done it overnight bah!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I just gave 3.8 a try again and after using the ppa purge I found zenity, nautilus and a number packages were still 3.7 or 3.8 and I have been sorting it out for an hour or so with synaptic . You may have used a different ppa, but check you package versions.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

What I did in the end was a complete Ubuntu reinstall (minimal) with a fresh /home as well, then installed lightdm and gnome-shell as usual. Lo and behold, I got the same thing as before - desktop wallpaper + mouse cursor and nothing else, no panel and no launcher. I wasn't expecting this with a fresh install. So I checked .xsession-errors and noticed that it was complaining about gnome-screensaver missing, so I installed that and it fixed the problem finally.

I have no idea whether this was the same problem I had originally with the old /home partition, it may have been something completely different, but hopefully this may help somebody reading this in future.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jim_deadlock View Post
    What I did in the end was a complete Ubuntu reinstall (minimal) with a fresh /home as well, then installed lightdm and gnome-shell as usual.
    Something is odd in your recollection here though because clearly lightdm is already included in a normal Ubuntu install?

Beans
    Distro

No, it's not included in minimal install: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD