Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Destroyed, totally, totally disappointed in this ver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry I'm Destroyed, totally, totally disappointed in this ver.

Just installed 13.04 on my laptop, had about 2/3 of the 500Gb HDD unused.

When the menu came up for the type of install, I unchecked the top one, BECAUSE it said it would overwrite the whole drive, and I still wanted my Windows operational in a dual boot.

Looked briefly at "Something Else", decided to not bother this time, I usually go that route, and do the partitioning my way with a shared part.

Went "Back" from this choice, and checked the middle two for encrypted, which assured me it would not encrypt existing files.

Huge surprise! Never had this happen before, and I'm furious. I have all the Windows user files externally backed up from a couple of weeks back, but the rather "loaded out to the max" install is gone, EVERYTHING is gone just as if I had specified the "Erase Disk" install option that I so scrupulously avoided!!!

From now on, I must consider even Ubuntu as potentially hostile. I sincerely regret letting that .iso have a shot at my computer; the shot is quite fatal. Nothing in Gparted or file management, or even anything on Hiren's BCD has anything to offer, except to tell me how new the drive now is.

Bruce

Oh, yeah, don't pop the CD out when it says it has "completed" the install, and wants to re-boot... Kernal panic set in, it won't shut down by itself and leaves a lot of text on the screen instead of shutting down.
    Last edited by Agencyman; May 10th, 2013 at 09:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I'm Destroyed, totally, totally disappointed in this ver.

Doesn't appear to be a support request, moved to Ubuntu, Linux & OS chat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From your comments, you seem to be an end-user better served by using only LTS releases. I'm that way too. I don't want to risk my data. 12.04 is the last LTS release, FYI. The next one should be 14.04 in about a year.

Clearly, it is time to restore the HDD from one of your backups.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Backup, backup, backup. This is even more important when you are going to be messing with a dual boot.

If I am going to be messing with partitions, I clone the OS drive so I can restore it if anything goes wrong.
    Last edited by CharlesA; May 10th, 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, sorry, not a plea for tech assistance, better here.

I can salvage the data, I back up constantly, like I tell my clients to do, on several local HDDs plus cloud, but it takes a long time to build the other machine back.

I just hope I have a reasonably current image somewhere, but I let my guard down on that count...

I had just gotten over-confident, because all of my previous Ubu builds had been on balance, gold plated, though not through any programming achievements of my own.

Bruce

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Agencyman View Post
    Yes, sorry, not a plea for tech assistance, better here.

I can salvage the data, I back up constantly, like I tell my clients to do, on several local HDDs plus cloud, but it takes a long time to build the other machine back.

I just hope I have a reasonably current image somewhere, but I let my guard down on that count...

I had just gotten over-confident, because all of my previous Ubu builds had been on balance, gold plated, though not through any programming achievements of my own.

Bruce
    Glad to hear this. Backups are great, but that really isn't the point. It is all about the recovery.

Rebuilding a Linux machine with less than 20G of OS/Apps and data should be possible in 20-30 minutes. On Linux, I don't use image-based backups. Too inefficient. I do not think that is necessary and it definitely is not as efficient as other methods. Alas, that is a different topic that this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unfortunately, there are several ways to mess up a dual-boot system. You have found yet another. This forum is littered with posts about dual-boot install disasters--many of them completely wiping the Windows partition and all of its data--and many without a backup.

It would be helpful to isolate user-error from installer error to see if there is something harmful in the 13.04 installer.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Unfortunately, there are several ways to mess up a dual-boot system. You have found yet another. This forum is littered with posts about dual-boot install disasters--many of them completely wiping the Windows partition
    I need to spend more time here!
    and all of its data--and many without a backup. It would be helpful to isolate user-error from installer error to see if there is something harmful in the 13.04 installer.
    It was that very busy Windows re-install that was going to take so long, but I just don't think I'll put it back. Ubuntu only, for now, and BTW this is the 32 bit version, first one in years. For folding proteins, Pande Group's Stanford distributed computing project, F@H, all of the recent ones have been 64 bit by necessity.

Now for the really vague part. I had some unusual results a couple of years back, in the mists of memory where the details are obscured, but I came away believing that it was the going back a step, after starting to do manual file type settings for folding proteins, in the partitioning, that I had my problems. On a new build, as you say no problem, just format it and re-do, relatively quick and easy.

Back then I decided, for roomy desktops, (and haven't looked back), that I would install each OS on its own HDD or SSD, with the others disconnected and unseen by the installer. Then use the boot selection to choose the OS to launch.

But with this old lappy, I wrongly figured it was a familiar piece of cake to go dual.

I was still in the shock and denial stage when I posted that, and simply wanted to put the red flag out there because backup data is not enough. If you put another OS at risk, make sure you have today's clone/image at the ready. Bruce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm not familiar with the Ubiquity installer, but hitting the "back" button takes you to the previous dialog box, but I'm not sure if the state of the system is preserved. So your initial instinct was "Something Else"--meaning manual partitioning, but instead you chose "I Feel Lucky" instead. That works for Google searches, but unfortunately the installer has no way of knowing what your intentions are. You have to admit, the ubiquity installer is quite efficient at wiping the old operating system.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For me, for the forseeable; no more "Back" button!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    You have to admit, the ubiquity installer is quite efficient at wiping the old operating system.
    Top drawer! First rate! Absolutely steamrollered the competition!!! Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast