View Poll Results: Do you think Community should have been removed?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.33%
  • No

84 97.67%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Business school graduates have a different mindset. The idea that somehow a "balance" is needed between showing off "products" and community as if there is a conflict betrays this mentality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Maybe this has been noticed alley but waaaaay down on the bottom of the Ubuntu website in a teeny tiny link is "support" then buried in that page at the bottom is "community support forum." This worries this Ubuntu loving panda. .-.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello Everyone,
    So it does appear that emotions are still high for some of us over this issue but lets not let that push us to grab pitchforks and call Canonical evil because that was never my intention with this bug report. I think what has happened here is miscommunication and all of this could have been avoided had there been better communication while at the same time I do not believe its feasible for Canonical to run every little decision they make as a company.
    I spoke with Jono this evening and we discussed the timeline of all of this and I'm convinced that the solution the design team announced is top notch and in fact it actually would place the new community link (which will point to the new improved community site) much higher then it was in the previous design which I believe is a major win for the community.
    That being said I do think its important for us all to be able to share our opinions and I have shared mine on my blog and that opinion has also evolved now that there has been more info on the design provided and I'm quite satisfied with the proposed design "global nav bar" that will be added.
    With UDS being just hours away lets all come together to work on the sauciest salamander we possibly can!
    --
    Benjamin Kerensa
    Ubuntu Developer & Firefox Release Manager
    http://benjaminkerensa.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Right.

Of course.

It's a shame the 'community' leader didn't see fit to discuss it with the community before it all happened.

I'm glad you feel convinced - I am too, but I suspect I'm convinced of something completely different.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I'm glad you feel convinced - I am too, but I suspect I'm convinced of something completely different.
    I tend to feel the same.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bkerensa View Post
    ... I do not believe its feasible for Canonical to run every little decision they make as a company.
    Awesome! Thanks for enlightening us.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

"Find out why" it's free is where community is hiding.

i still think they started hiding community on purpose but let's see the redesign. first in installer now on website.... perhaps they should write their own documentation and do testing, bug reporting, bug crushing themselves. maybe it would make a better OS and make it cheaper that way...

red hat also has community on first page.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Some happy fertilizer, more like.

"We had it planned all along".
    Yeah, you made a good point in the comments. The bug was "Confirmed - Won't fix", but they had it planned all along.

Benjamin also made a good point. Why couldn't this have been done seamlessly? I suspect the reason is that they didn't really have it planned all along, and they're really just doing damage control right now. I still think it will be interesting to see where the forums stand in all of this. In his list of key web sites, of course AskUbuntu was there, and the forums must have been part of the "..."

But I do think it will be cool if they can work out a universal link bar for all of their web sites. No matter what the truth is, this sounds like a positive move.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I subscribe to this theory:

forrestcupp
    I suspect the reason is that they didn't really have it planned all along, and they're really just doing damage control right now.
    But, patience is a virtue and time tends to reveal the truth. Not saying Canonical needs to "run every little decision they make as a company" by the community. However, this seems like a no brainer. Enlightening and communicating with the community prior, might have minimized or eliminated any need for damage control.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There's an inevitable tension between a business needing to make a profit and a self-described and self-selected community that seems to want to have a controlling influence on the decisions of the business. The tension arises because, in the end, the objectives of the business cannot be in synch with the wishes of the community.

I've seen a few suggestions that Red Hat and Fedora provide proof that that tension need not exist. But, that example doesn't wash. The Fedora community is a great community, but Red Hat isn't selling Fedora. Red Hat is selling Red Hat Enterprise Linux support. Decisions about what is in, or out, of RHEL, and how to deal with customers, are made as business decisions.

It's an illusion that a Linux distribution can be controlled by a community. Someone needs to make decisions. That means community *leaders* can control a distribution. If some members of the Ubuntu community want to control its future, then they really ought to fork it and move on.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast