View Poll Results: Do you think Community should have been removed?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.33%
  • No

84 97.67%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

A monumental "faux pas".

I am deeply saddened.

;p
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu is Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mills View Post
    I've been a lurker for a long time on the forums here, and have noticed a drop-off in # of posts daily. I remember when ubuntuforums was almost like real-time chat. It was hard to keep up with new posts. Now, it's not so much. I'm not sure this has anything to do with the OP though.
    It could also be competition from other support sites like Askubuntu. Askubuntu is more effective for 'technical' questions than the forums.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

This forum is better than askubuntu. If you ask a question here that has been asked before, it will get merged.
    On askubuntu you get general hostility if you ask a question that has been asked before. And the question will be closed.

If you ask a question about ubuntu +1, then the question is closed. And askubuntu is not owned by canonical.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    You should show him support in his thread.
    And vote in the poll

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2143971

I agree and did vote as should everyone, I think.

This forum has given me 99% of my answers to Ubuntu since 2008. It truly is Community based.
    Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Threads merged and Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans

Oh, really? It doesn't seem like they've got too much of a reason to remove the community part. I mean, I've gotten a ton of help from here (Thanks, BTW) which I think improved my experience with their product, if that's what Canonical's after. I always liked the thought of Ubuntu's community, anyway.
    AMD A8-3850 2.9GHZ, G. SKILL 8GB DDR3 RAM 1666Mhz, 60GB Mushkin SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, AMD Radeon HD6550D

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    It could also be competition from other support sites like Askubuntu. Askubuntu is more effective for 'technical' questions than the forums.
    Competition is a good thing, as both sites play off each other and give better and better answers to the troubles OPs have.

But both those better answers can only help others if they can easily find them.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pompel9 View Post
    If you ask a question here that has been asked before, it will get merged.
    On askubuntu you get general hostility if you ask a question that has been asked before. And the question will be closed.
    Do you have a link to someone being hostile to you? That kind of behavior is inappropriate on both sites.

Beans

Maybe it is good idea to discus this at Virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit,but if we have to discus things like this it is very sad moment for Ubuntu.If Ubuntu team mean that they don´t need community support let them say that.Maybe Askubuntu should become official Ubuntu support site with people who will be pay for the work on that site.This is not my first impression that Ubuntu doesn´t care about community.That unfortunately look like Ubuntu policy.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by bkerensa View Post
    Hello Folks,

A few weeks back now Canonical decided to remove "Community" from the Ubuntu.com menu because they said:
    I think you were the one who made an excellent point that it is the web site for Ubuntu, not the web site for Canonical. It seems like community makes more sense on Ubuntu's web site, and business should go on Canonical's web site. I don't have a problem with the Ubuntu web site having a great big link to Canonical's site right on the main page. But whether they like it or not, even though Ubuntu is backed and mainly developed by Canonical, they made it into a community project. If they're going to turn the Ubuntu web site into a commercial business page, then maybe they need to stop trying to look like a community project when you click on "Download" and get a donation page before you can download it.

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    I think it would be very helpful to have a link titled "Support" in the main menu. I believe this would be more meaningful to a greater number of users than one labeled "Community". It would bring the user to a page that points to these forums, along with other resources, and could also include links to other community resources.
    Oh they have a "Support" link.
    If you search down at the bottom in the fine print, you'll find a support link. If you click on that, and read through all of the print, you'll find a link to another page where you can find a link to the forums and other community support.

I would think that advertising their free community support that they don't have to invest much into would be a priority. I know if I was thinking about installing some relatively obscure operating system that most people don't know about, I would pass on it if I didn't readily see that they have good support available.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast