View Poll Results: Do you think Community should have been removed?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.33%
  • No

84 97.67%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I think that if we were regularly made to publicly feel appreciated, Canonical could probably get by with a lot more with less complaints.
    Sure, any ideas on how this would be done?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    It's just that it's difficult to understand why some things are happening
    It's because of scale, Ubuntu is a vast project with hundreds of people working on it; there's so many things going and so many changes going in that it's tough for one person (or even one group of people) to see what's going on everwhere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    The Fridge automatically posts in it's forum here.

Edit - and if there's something that could be done by the moderation team or admins then I'm sure we'd be happy to help.

It's because of scale, Ubuntu is a vast project with hundreds of people working on it; there's so many things going and so many changes going in that it's tough for one person (or even one group of people) to see what's going on everwhere.
    Totally agree with this - and I'd suspect so will most.

But it doesn't take much thought to realise that a community team might think that the community here might prefer to know what's going to happen with the community link before - and I don't mean when it got discussed at some past UDS - but closer to the event

I found out accidentally in #ubuntu-community-team about the whole thing.
    Last edited by Elfy; May 17th, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

I have never really understood why #ubuntu-community-team exists, yet no #ubuntu-community.
    Me on the web:

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Ideas on how to make the community feel appreciated? Well first off, I need to make it clear that my perspective is mainly from the forums, which I know is not everyone's perspective in the entire community.

But for one thing, when threads like this arise and a representative sees it, the first thing a Canonical representative should do in a post to that thread is find words to let us know that we do matter and we are appreciated. Only after that should the "answers" come. How a person opens a statement does a lot toward setting the atmosphere for how the rest of the statement will be received.

But what would go much farther would be if we heard words of appreciation and affirmation from Canonical reps randomly without it being a response to a bunch of mad people. I know Mark Shuttleworth and other Canonical higher-ups are very busy people and that's why they have a team to work with the community. But it wouldn't be that hard for Mark and others to drop by the forums and other community venues once a year or so to let us know we're doing a good job and we matter. They wouldn't even need to monitor the thread; they could just post an affirmation and leave the community team to keep an eye on those threads. Maybe in interviews or public relations statements, from time to time they could just be mindful to mention that we have a great community that makes Ubuntu much more than just an operating system.

There are lots of things that could be done. But I think a couple of the biggest things are for Canonical reps to just be mindful of us, and for them to choose friendly words when talking about or to us.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

With moves like this no wonder why we see canonical as corrupt.
    Perhaps there should be a big migration away from Ubuntu and other canonical products.
    Fedora?
    openSUSE?
    Mageia?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    With moves like this no wonder why we see canonical as corrupt.
    Perhaps there should be a big migration away from Ubuntu and other canonical products.
    Fedora?
    openSUSE?
    Mageia?
    or Mint! *waves with delight*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't have any sense that Canonical or anyone is corrupt. That's not even in play here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prusswan View Post
    or Mint! *waves with delight*
    I just find this meme comical, it is as if Mint is something different. Mint is just Ubuntu rebranded with a more ugly DE and 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras' executed for you. If you hate what Ubuntu represents it is hypocritical to switch to a trivial Ubuntu derivative as if you are making some kind of statement. Now if you say you will go to Debian to avoid Ubuntu's "corruption" that would be different, at least it would be more consistent (I don't agree that Canonical is "corrupt", that is too heavy an accusation that I would not make lightly)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 17th, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I certainly think we can nip that one in the bud now thanks.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast