View Poll Results: Do you think Community should have been removed?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.33%
  • No

84 97.67%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Beans

Re: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Perhaps action is best to solve, lets give our grievances to:

webmaster@ubuntu.com and webmaster@canonical.com

I know I have
    Last edited by MadmanRB; May 17th, 2013 at 02:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    Any time I see a thread where people are questioning things I always answer; I'm not bashing anyone.
    Maybe it was a poor choice of words. So all we get are answers, and never any appreciation from Canonical, unless we beat it out of them.

If you look at things from our perspective, you have to admit that for a long time a lot of things have happened that makes it look like Canonical is trying to hide the community and forget about us, especially the forums. I can see how it's possible that none of these many actions were really meant that way, but you have to admit that to us that's how it looks.

The subject of this thread is not the only instance, by far. It's just the straw that broke the camel's back. And like I said earlier, not much is being done by Canonical to smooth it over and make us feel appreciated, other than a bunch of "answers". I think that if we were regularly made to publicly feel appreciated, Canonical could probably get by with a lot more with less complaints.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; May 17th, 2013 at 01:34 AM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

castrojo, why is a member of the Ubuntu Community Team taking such an attitude and posting what are often argumentative statements in a Community forum?

Nobody here wants to hear your troubles and travails. They are interested in SEEING your RESULTS.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    There's no community link on debian.org either.
    Well, that's because Debian == community- there is no corporate overlord of the Debian project and therefore the simile isn't really accurate. Besides that, there's a whole section on the main page called "Support" with numerous links to various (community) support venues.

I don't want to come off as bashing you (castrojo) and we don't want to make you a scapegoat for the whole problem. But the problem exists, and as part of the "community team" we are naturally going to direct a lot of our thoughts toward you and your fellow team members.
    Last edited by cortman; May 17th, 2013 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Did you vote yes by mistake? Your argument doesn't make sense to me.
    There is clearly a divide between the powers that be and whatever that represents the community, time for everyone to embrace the reality than to pretend everything is rainbows and unicorns. Just as Linus Torvalds refuses to deepthroat Microsoft, Canonical should not be expected to pander to anything but their paying customers. As eerie as it sounds, I believe the two would make a great pair
    Last edited by prusswan; May 17th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prusswan View Post
    There is clearly a divide between the powers that be and whatever that represents the community, time for everyone to embrace the reality than to pretend everything is rainbows and unicorns. Just as Linus Torvalds refuses to deepthroat Microsoft, Canonical should not be expected to pander to anything but their paying customers. As eerie as it sounds, I believe the two would make a great pair
    Paying customers?
    PAYING CUSTOMERS!?!?!
    Dude this is LINUX not bloody Microsoft or Apple.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    I don't want to come off as bashing you (castrojo) and we don't want to make you a scapegoat for the whole problem. ....
    Not just you

A lot of people appreciate JC's efforts at making Ubuntu better and more visible. It's just that it's difficult to understand why some things are happening
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

QIII
    They are interested in SEEING your RESULTS.
    It's been my experience, that actions always speak louder than words.

prusswan
    Canonical should not be expected to pander to anything but their paying customers.
    Would Ubuntu be as popular, without the support of the community? The community who's spent years providing feedback, online support and recruiting. Has Canonical considered how the community will respond to rejection and what impact they might have? As MadmanRB so aptly stated: "Dude this is LINUX not bloody Microsoft or Apple."
    Last edited by Tamlynmac; May 17th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    castrojo, why is a member of the Ubuntu Community Team taking such an attitude and posting what are often argumentative statements in a Community forum?

Nobody here wants to hear your troubles and travails. They are interested in SEEING your RESULTS.
    Spoken like a true paying customer!

In reality, community works both ways. And ideally, Canonical and its Team should be thought of (and behave as) true members of the community. And as a community, we SHOULD be willing to listen to and appreciate their troubles and travails. I would argue that for the most part the community does care about Canonical's problems, and is willing to help resolve them, if given a chance. Only by doing so, can the results be satisfactory.

Canonical needs to give the community that chance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast