View Poll Results: Do you think Community should have been removed?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.33%
  • No

84 97.67%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Did you vote yes by mistake? Your argument doesn't make sense to me.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    By that definition, Ubuntu users are still not consumers, because they aren't using it "up". When one downloads Ubuntu, it's the user making the copy, and Canonical is not required to create another. This is not a manufacture/consumption transaction.

Indeed, users of Ubuntu are in many respects co-creators of it. Each has their own experiences to share, their own unique uses for which they can put it, and collectively form the community that helps shape Ubuntu's evolution.

"Consumer" is just the wrong concept here.
    You said it yourself, they use it. Whether there are finite amounts of what they are using is irrelevant, it does not need to be quantifiable for the term to fit, you are an Ubuntu consumer. Not an Ubuntu customer (thank you for putting that into simpler terms a page ago, forrestcupp).
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    I don't really understand what you'd like for me to do here. The link was missing from the website, someone filed a bug, it was discussed on the bug and at UDS and it's going to be resolved, what else is there to do? I'm not here to lecture people to calm down; as far as I can see when issues get brought up we deal with them openly.
    I don't need to be a part of every decision, nor do I want to. I just thought it wasn't very tactful to blame people for not helping when they didn't know about it. But to answer your question, personally what I wish that you and other Canonical representatives would do here is to reassure us that we matter to you guys when we're questioning it instead of bashing us for questioning it. That's all. I think it would go a long way for Canonical people to word things in a way that reassures us that we matter. The forums are just one part of the community, but we've been here helping people since the very first release, and it seems like we don't get much love. It seems like we just get pushed farther and farther down the hierarchy. I guess it's just a sore subject to me. Even though I don't have nearly as high of a bean count as a lot of people, I have invested a good portion of my recent life here, and you start to build strong feelings about a community like that.

I don't think it's fair to paint it as "The Community vs. Canonical". There are millions of people who use Ubuntu and to assume that everyone is going to bail over a broken link on the website is kind of a stretch, especially when we've committed to fix it.
    I really don't think the community will bail, and I really hope that doesn't happen. The only reason I said those things was to point out to buzzingrobot that the community really does make more of a difference than some people realize.

There's hundreds of decisions that get taken into account every cycle. No one person or organization within Ubuntu (or let alone Canonical) know what's happening with every single decision in the project. It's a consequence of having a distributed project with a bunch of interdependant parts, things happen in a parallel and the project is too huge to cover every idea. So when something isn't right it's up to all of us to raise the flag.

If it makes you feel better there's been a ton of decisions being made on the client side today that I have no idea about and no one is going to dish those out on a plate for me, at the end of the day making an operating system is hard and involves a ton of moving pieces.
    I know this wasn't directed toward me, but I totally understand that, and I have no desire at all to be a part of every decision. That's just crazy. But the decisions that have to do with me are a little more important to me. Also, it's obvious that no one person knows what is going on in every single decision. But with that in mind, someone shouldn't have declared that the bug will not be fixed without checking with the people who had already planned the fix all along.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

This is just stupid, its official that ubuntu is just a product now and not something to be liked and admoired.

Ugh, perhaps I should try fedora or something

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I left Ubuntu a while back as a main OS.
    The community is what I like and appreciate, and is why I still help (where I can) on the forums and join Ubuntu IRC channels.
    I'm really curious where Canonical (and Ubuntu) are going to wind up; it seems that a "Great Divorce" is in the (eventual) making...

Beans

Maybe there should be a new distro spun off from ubuntu.
    Sure there are plenty of distros already but creating something community based is a good idea.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There's hundreds of decisions that get taken into account every cycle. No one person or organization within Ubuntu (or let alone Canonical) know what's happening with every single decision in the project. It's a consequence of having a distributed project with a bunch of interdependant parts, things happen in a parallel and the project is too huge to cover every idea. So when something isn't right it's up to all of us to raise the flag.

If it makes you feel better there's been a ton of decisions being made on the client side today that I have no idea about and no one is going to dish those out on a plate for me, at the end of the day making an operating system is hard and involves a ton of moving pieces.
    If a job is too big for one person, then you delegate parts of it to subordinates, or is that concept too difficult for the people who are in charge of Ubuntu? Are you indicting them of that absurd level of extreme incompetence?

Or are you just unaware of the concept of priorities, organized procedures, and proper time scheduling and flow of work tasks? This is Business and Economics 101. The kind of thing you should have learned in middle school.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I just thought it wasn't very tactful to blame people for not helping when they didn't know about it. But to answer your question, personally what I wish that you and other Canonical representatives would do here is to reassure us that we matter to you guys when we're questioning it instead of bashing us for questioning it.
    Any time I see a thread where people are questioning things I always answer; I'm not bashing anyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Well, I left Ubuntu a while back as a main OS.
    The community is what I like and appreciate, and is why I still help (where I can) on the forums and join Ubuntu IRC channels.
    I'm really curious where Canonical (and Ubuntu) are going to wind up; it seems that a "Great Divorce" is in the (eventual) making...
    There's no community link on debian.org either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    If a job is too big for one person, then you delegate parts of it to subordinates, or is that concept too difficult for the people who are in charge of Ubuntu? Are you indicting them of that absurd level of extreme incompetence?

Or are you just unaware of the concept of priorities, organized procedures, and proper time scheduling and flow of work tasks? This is Business and Economics 101. The kind of thing you should have learned in middle school.

Uhhhh, we do this all the time, in fact, here's the summary for this cycle: http://youtu.be/3SuSZXpdMMY

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast