View Poll Results: Do you think Community should have been removed?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.33%
  • No

84 97.67%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    I don't really understand what you'd like for me to do here. The link was missing from the website, someone filed a bug, it was discussed on the bug and at UDS and it's going to be resolved, what else is there to do? I'm not here to lecture people to calm down; as far as I can see when issues get brought up we deal with them openly.
    There's your problem right there. "When issues get brought up..." You're reacting. You know why that's happening? I'll tell you: It's because PR isn't doing its job and keeping us informed. Whether by accident or design, there are serious PR issues here that should be addressed by those in charge.

PR isn't just talking down to us like we're children. PR isn't about selling product. PR is about information. Sharing data. Anything more or less is a failure of PR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    There's your problem right there. "When issues get brought up..." You're reacting. You know why that's happening? I'll tell you: It's because PR isn't doing its job and keeping us informed. Whether by accident or design, there are serious PR issues here that should be addressed by those in charge.
    There's hundreds of decisions that get taken into account every cycle. No one person or organization within Ubuntu (or let alone Canonical) know what's happening with every single decision in the project. It's a consequence of having a distributed project with a bunch of interdependant parts, things happen in a parallel and the project is too huge to cover every idea. So when something isn't right it's up to all of us to raise the flag.

If it makes you feel better there's been a ton of decisions being made on the client side today that I have no idea about and no one is going to dish those out on a plate for me, at the end of the day making an operating system is hard and involves a ton of moving pieces.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    consumer (n.) early 15c., "one who squanders or wastes," agent noun from consume. In economic sense, "one who uses up goods or articles" (opposite of producer) from 1745.Consumer goods is attested from 1890. In U.S., consumer price index calculated since 1919, tracking "changes in the prices paid by urban consumers for a representative basket of goods and services" [Bureau of Labor Statistics]; abbreviation CPI is attested by 1971.

So, really just because something is 'free' does not preclude your being a consumer of it.
    By that definition, Ubuntu users are still not consumers, because they aren't using it "up". When one downloads Ubuntu, it's the user making the copy, and Canonical is not required to create another. This is not a manufacture/consumption transaction.

Indeed, users of Ubuntu are in many respects co-creators of it. Each has their own experiences to share, their own unique uses for which they can put it, and collectively form the community that helps shape Ubuntu's evolution.

"Consumer" is just the wrong concept here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu community is truly an amazing thing to be a part of. I really enjoy all aspects of it, even this conversation around the growing pains and oversights. I think it still is a driving factor behind Mark's interest in the project. I don't put too much stock ( an idiom? ) in conspiratory theories, around the business model types wanting to edge out community. Even if they do, I believe they are the fringe elements, not the community. Are things different today, or are people's perceptions of it different than when Ubuntu started? Well sure. Nothing is constant. It is evolving and our perceptions of things in our lives may not always align with our expectations. But what counts really, is what is important to each of us, collectively. By the response in this thread and others, we can safely be secure in the continued Ubuntu community existence.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Playing For Change

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    There's hundreds of decisions that get taken into account every cycle. No one person or organization within Ubuntu (or let alone Canonical) know what's happening with every single decision in the project. It's a consequence of having a distributed project with a bunch of interdependant parts, things happen in a parallel and the project is too huge to cover every idea. So when something isn't right it's up to all of us to raise the flag.

If it makes you feel better there's been a ton of decisions being made on the client side today that I have no idea about and no one is going to dish those out on a plate for me, at the end of the day making an operating system is hard and involves a ton of moving pieces.
    No-one sane would want to know every decision

This isn't really about the website - this is really about the way that some decisions get communicated.

Apparently the website revamp was discussed at a UDS sometime in the past - that's the right place to start these discussions, I doubt anyone would argue that, and people probably knew and understood at the time.

Wind forward a year or however long it is and you're going to have 2 groups of people left - those of us who have been constantly talking about this change and the rest of us that have forgotten. Suddenly removing the link - as was done - might seem like a natural progression to those who were working on it last week, it didn't to everyone else.

Perhaps someone like the Community Council should be responsible for passing on these important things or reminding everyone, you'd think that those in the Community Team would have recognised this - it doesn't take a genius to work out that people in the community will yell when their 'link' is shuffled off elsewhere

As far as raising flag's - where can people do that? If members raise bugs - it get's almost immediately the same response - won't fix, invalid, why are you even doing this, don't comment unless you've something important to say - which all reads to everyone out here on the we don't work for canonical as "Really again, sigh - I wish they'd shut up"

It really is all about communication at the right time.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've marked the bug as affecting me also.
    IMHO the community support is essential for each open source software (included the OSes like Ubuntu and its flavors).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

what exactly is the Ubuntu community? the only one I knew is the very forum itself

Beans

what exactly is the Ubuntu community? the only one I knew is the very forum itself
    It is not just forum.You can get help on IRC as well.You will find there thousands of people helping each other 24/7.
    Last edited by zvacet; May 16th, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by prusswan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zvacet View Post
    It is not just forum.You can get help on IRC as well.You will find there thousands of people helping each other 24/7.
    It's all of us - not just people that help other's.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Turns out I was the only one who voted yes? But there's a good reason for it, if a rude awakening is needed for Shuttleworth and co not to take the community for granted, better sooner than later.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast