View Poll Results: Do you think Community should have been removed?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 2.33%
  • No

84 97.67%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lightbulb Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

Hello Folks,

A few weeks back now Canonical decided to remove "Community" from the Ubuntu.com menu because they said:
    "By focusing our site navigation on the products themselves, we aim to make it clear for someone who is new to the site that Ubuntu is about all of these things: PCs, phones, tablets — you name it."

Now I don't know about you all but I know in my heart that Ubuntu stands for Community in fact Nelson Mandela roughly has described it as such and its been no secret that Ubuntu from the start has been a community-oriented open source project. Now as someone who works on Development, Documentation and QA for Ubuntu and has now for a few years it was a bit disheartening to see this arbitrary change being made to Ubuntu.com which is the flagship site of our community-oriented operating system.

So I decided to blog about it today at the encouragement of other Ubuntu Members and also because I feel if there is no discussion then potentially these things will continue to happen and we as a community will continue to receive promises of transparency or refined processes or anyother commitment.

This is not a attempt to slapdown Canonical but instead it is my hope that this will productively and politely allow for real change to come. I remember just last year I was pushing hard for the Ubuntu Forums to finally get its upgrade and you know it seemed to be that the hold out was simply that Canonical has a product focus and the forums were not a product.

To put things in perspective please have a look at this image which shows how Community is now missing from Ubuntu.com and also take into consideration that since they removed the link there has been a 1/3 drop-off in traffic to http://ubuntu.com/community which also links to these fine forums right here. So basically if a few thousand of those people were looking for forums or looking for how to get started contributing when they visited Ubuntu.com well they would not have found it.
    --
    Benjamin Kerensa
    Ubuntu Developer & Firefox Release Manager
    http://benjaminkerensa.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Your thoughts on Ubuntu.com without Community?

I've marked the bug as affecting me. Thanks for the heads-up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks for your efforts, Benjamin.

I've been watching the rather mulish answers you have been getting with interest.

BTW -- One of these days I'm actually going to have time to get down to Salem on a Friday night!

A little tough to make it by 6:00 from Portlandia -- I guess you know that, though!
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Beans
    Distro

No problem! Oh a fellow Portlander! We should setup a Ubuntu Hour here in Portland soon... Feel free to PM me!
    --
    Benjamin Kerensa

I have been very concerned by the actions taken on the ubuntu website and am looking forward to good answers/resolutions from the UDS session.
    Me on the web:

Beans

Opps, I pressed the wrong button to to vote yes while I meant to vote no. Wonder how I can reverse it. I have added an "affect me too" to the bug.

"By focusing our site navigation on the products themselves, we aim to make it clear for someone who is new to the site that Ubuntu is about all of these things: PCs, phones, tablets — you name it."

This is just lame, so they want "someone new to the site" to care just about the products and not the community? If it is just the product there is no reason why a casual user would want Linux at all while the market is full of "products" for media consumption and what not.

I may be taking it the wrong way (and I hope), but It seems that for some business types working in Canonical words like "community" and "Linux" are something to feel ashamed of and have to be hidden. I hope I am wrong, but if they keep this up I will be switching to Debian.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 10th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Opps, I pressed the wrong button to to vote yes while I meant to vote no. Wonder how I can reverse it. I have added an "affect me too" to the bug.

This is just lame, so they want "someone new to the site" to care just about the products and not a community? If it is just the product there is no reason why a casual user would want Linux at all while the market is full of "products" for media consumption and what not.
    I don't think you can reverse it but maybe a mod knows but yeah you have good points there.
    --
    Benjamin Kerensa

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I have rectified the mistake.
    Me on the web:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So they are focussing on products! That's nice, if it helps canonical getting more 'customers' and helping them to improve their "Products". Isn't that what we all want - a perfect Ubuntu that just works for everyone?

But what when the wireless in these devices decides that the native driver in their "product" is not good enough to play nicely with? Or these new UEFI based windows notebooks decide they don't like their "product"?

This keeps happening all the time and is not going to stop. Now add to this the situation when the links to community-driven sites that happily provide solutions to these ever-lasting problems are buried deep-down somewhere, and the members in them are no more enthusiastic about solving problems because they feel disrespected and mistreated. Furthermore, the majority of the said "new comers", at whom these fancy products are focused, are those who are not interested in digging or learning anything more than "How to log into Facebook".

Answer - the "product" isn't going to connect to net, not even going to install or stay installed - game over.

This was just an example.

I can not recall the countless times I have seen people, who were new to Linux/Ubuntu and received some great help here, commenting that it is this great community that makes Ubuntu great (otherwise it is just another distro).

None of the people around here who give them this warm feeling are employees of Canonical. They are here because they are passionate about what they do, and feel proud to be part of the community. But how many of us will stay passionate, or even stay part of the community if the community itself is undermined like this. Yet another fork of the "product" and the community itself? I hate that.

I am not capable enough to judge whether whatever they are doing is good or bad for Ubuntu. But it takes only a little experience and no doctorate degree to tell that unless they have close ties with all the prominent hardware manufacturers like Microsoft has, they are always going to need the community to welcome new comers and keep them interested.

I added myself to the list of people affected by the bug.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think it was a bone-headed to remove "Community" from ubuntu.com. However I do like how the forums are a lot quieter now. You have to click 3 links that are buried at the bottom of the page to get to these forums.

Although google searches of Ubuntu problems normally takes you directly to a support thread on these forums.

Ubuntu now needs to change its name, since it no longer represents the collective efforts of all of us as an operating system for all of us. Fewbuntu--an operating system designed by a few and used by fewer.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast