View Poll Results: Should there be visual feedback for terminal password?

Voters
289. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be, but I think this is a Linux problem, not a Ubuntu one

36 12.46%
  • There should be asterisks or something. File a bug report/feature request on it.

63 21.80%
  • There shouldn't be. I like it the way it is. In fact, take away the black dots from the GUI

51 17.65%
  • There shouldn't be. But it's okay to be inconsistent--no terminal feedback, yes GUI feedback.

57 19.72%
  • I don't think it matters.

74 25.61%
  • Other.

8 2.77%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback on entering password in the terminal?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Feedback on entering password in the terminal?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Many times I've heard users complain that Ubuntu isn't accepting their password in the terminal. This is because Ubuntu's terminal doesn't give any visual feedback.

Is that a terminal thing fundamental to Linux/Unix/etc.? Or is that something that could be changed in Ubuntu?

It can't be a policy thing, right, seeing as you do get black dots for the passwords you type in the graphical user interface?

Any thoughts? Should I file a bug report on this?
    Not giving visual feedback when entering a password is just the traditional Unix style. I don't think there's an easy configuration option to change that behaviour, but I'd be very surprised if it couldn't be changed in the source. I guess all you have to do is convince the devs this is worth the trouble.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So far, 9 are in favor, 1 against, and 1 indifferent. I'll give it a couple of days. If it continues this way, I'll file a bug report or tack on to an existing one if it already exists.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the first time i tried to enter my pass in the termina, i too was like "where the hell is my password? its not letting me enter it" until my linux using friend told me it doesnt show up in the terminal. after that ive had no problem with it.

its just an extra layer of security, i just say leave it the way it is.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans

The only thing I can think of is it possibly being defined by the Linux kernel and not necessarily something Ubuntu-related. As I said before, it can't be policy; otherwise, they wouldn't include asterisks in the gksudo and kdesu GUI dialogues...
    I doubt the Linux kernel has anything to do with what the executable /usr/bin/sudo prints in the bash terminal. I'm pretty sure the sudo program turns off the bash terminal's automatic echoing of pressed keys before asking for a line of input. To display dots instead of the normal echoed text that sudo turned off you'd need to reprogram sudo to fetch the password one character at a time instead of waiting for the whole line and add a command that prints a dot each time it gets a character.

IMO this is an Ubuntu bug since it adds inconsistency to Ubuntu as a whole by behaving differently from other programs (gksudo & kdesu) in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

There are probably thousands of things to complain about, THIS is not one of them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipsHead View Post
    There are probably thousands of things to complain about, THIS is not one of them.
    Why not?

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Why not?
    Do you have vision? watch the cursor blink as you type.

Besides, if you don't like it, use CSH and set the options, it's not THAT hard now is it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipsHead View Post
    Do you have vision? watch the cursor blink as you type.

Besides, if you don't like it, use CSH and set the options, it's not THAT hard now is it?
    It's not for me. It's for new users.

Creating a consistent interface that doesn't confuse new users is a worthy goal. Why make something confusing? It has nothing to do with easy or difficult.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

It's probably possible to do it in BASH too, but i don't really care because i don't use it.

In all probability it's in your .bashrc or the global bashrc...

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

The only thing I can think of is it possibly being defined by the Linux kernel and not necessarily something Ubuntu-related. As I said before, it can't be policy; otherwise, they wouldn't include asterisks in the gksudo and kdesu GUI dialogues...
    Actualy GUI is very different. Back when I used VB there was an option for the text box called "Password" if you turned it to true it would give you the asterisks for anything entered. I think when I used RedHat there was an option to turn echo for passwords on in the terminal.

I never had a problem with it until something screwed up in my desktop and one of the keys on the kbd didn't work (it worked after a reinstall). I didn't know that the key wasn't working and the password kept not being accepted because I didn't know I had one character less. As far as security goes as been said it's easy enough to see a kbd if you are standing behind someone.

The whole password system is flawed anyways, since SD cards are pretty cheap and just about any new laptop will have an SD slot it makes more sense to create keys that are coded onto a card and use that for authentication. I'm actually using that system for my password manager
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast