Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Change default tty from tty7 (GUI) to tty2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Change default tty from tty7 (GUI) to tty2

So Mate (based on Gnome2) correctly interprets the chvt command but Unity does not.

Mint automatically tags kernel and xorg updates as 4 or 5 severity so that they don't happen automatically. Perhaps only upgrade the kernel once a year and manually run your script in Rescue (console) mode, then reboot back into normal mode.

The binary blob hook system used in the kernel for proprietary video drivers works, but it leaves you without a display whenever you upgrade the kernel image. As I recall, the post-install script reverts to an open driver so that you have a fallback display. Does that not work? Then a pop-up notification should happen after a while that says "Hey, there is a proprietary driver available. Would you like to install it?"

Perhaps there is a Gnome3 or Unity utility that works similarly to chvt.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    So Mate (based on Gnome2) correctly interprets the chvt command but Unity does not.
    Not exactly. Both switch to tty2 if you open gnome-terminal and enter "chvt 2". Besides that, when I add "/bin/chvt 2" to rc.local on Ubuntu it does switch to tty2 at boot, but only for a second - something causes it to switch back to tty7. On Mint, this addition to rc.local switches it to tty2 but does not switch it back to tty7, which is the expected and preferred behaviour.

Mint automatically tags kernel and xorg updates as 4 or 5 severity so that they don't happen automatically. Perhaps only upgrade the kernel once a year and manually run your script in Rescue (console) mode, then reboot back into normal mode.
    The script's purpose is to:

1. Make the process of reinstalling an NVIDIA driver easier than the 5 minutes it takes to do it by hand
    2. Automate the launch of the nvidia driver setup at boot

Updating the kernel only once a year is a terrible solution - much worse than doing it by hand and spending the 5 minutes every few weeks to do a simple NVIDIA driver reinstall.
    Also, the script is useless if you're gonna do it manually, since it's entire purpose in life is to automate the process.

The binary blob hook system used in the kernel for proprietary video drivers works, but it leaves you without a display whenever you upgrade the kernel image. As I recall, the post-install script reverts to an open driver so that you have a fallback display. Does that not work?
    The boot process has stopped just short of loading the GUI after a kernel update multiple times on different distros over the years (when I use a driver downloaded directly from the NVIDIA website), and I don't think I've ever seen it fallback to an open driver, even though that would be the most logical thing for it to do.

Perhaps there is a Gnome3 or Unity utility that works similarly to chvt.
    I'll look into it, but I don't see why there would be - chvt works great. If something wasn't causing the switch back to tty7 in Ubuntu after rc.local runs, it would be a good solution.
    Last edited by terminator14; May 11th, 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

If I don't find a cleaner solution, I'm going with:

/etc/rc.local:

Code:
    {/bin/sleep 5; /bin/chvt 2; } &
    Which I just came up with and tested. It seems to work great. It just waits until after whatever causes Ubuntu to switch back to tty7 runs first, and then runs chvt.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

It's LightDM changing to VT7 and that runs after rc.local. That is why the sleep statement works. It forces the chvt command to run after lightdm has changed to VT7.

I set LightDM and X to run on VT8 so my logs are a bit misleading but...

Code:
    [+0.02s] DEBUG: Plymouth is running on VT 7, but this is less than the configured minimum of 8 so not replacing it
    [+0.02s] DEBUG: Using VT 8
    [+0.02s] DEBUG: Activating VT 8
    ...i'm quite sure yours will say 'Activating VT 7'.

If the only reason you are switching to VT2 is so you can answer questions for the installer, i wondering if you would be able to use a heredoc to answer them and then it would be totally automated.

You may not even need to change VT at all if it works.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; May 11th, 2013 at 03:59 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

It's LightDM changing to VT7 and that runs after rc.local. That is why the sleep statement works. It forces the chvt command to run after lightdm has changed to VT7.

I set LightDM and X to run on VT8 so my logs are a bit misleading but...

Code:
    [+0.02s] DEBUG: Plymouth is running on VT 7, but this is less than the configured minimum of 8 so not replacing it
    ...i'm quite sure yours will say 'Activating VT 7'.
    My lightdm.log does indeed say "using VT 7" and "Activating VT 7" so LightDM seems like a good candidate to be causing this problem I'm experiencing, but so far I have not been able to track down exactly where this is happening. The 2 config files in /etc/lightdm/ are very short 3-4 lines each, and appear to have nothing relevant to tty's in them. I can't say I understand every bit of /etc/init/lightdm.conf, but it does not seem to deal with chvt or tty's either - not directly anyway (it might be referencing some files that I'm missing that deals with them I suppose).

I also did a:

Code:
    grep -iI 'chvt\|tty' `dpkg-query -L lightdm{,-remote-session-freerdp,-remote-session-uccsconfigure} | grep -v "^$" | grep -v '\/\.'` 2>/dev/null
    which basically took the 3 packages on my Ubuntu system that had the words "lightdm" in them, listed all the files the packages had in them, and greped every file for chvt or tty. No hits. Of course, doing a grep this way wasn't a sure thing since a) lightdm might use something other than a chvt command to switch the tty's and b) it might just do it with code in one of its binaries, which grep wouldn't find, but I figured it was worth a shot. Some googling suggests that a chvt option could be added to either the display-setup-script section of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, or the actual script the section points to (I'm a bit unclear). Either way, nothing resembling that section exists in my lightdm.conf file.

Any ideas where else I can look?

If the only reason you are switching to VT2 is so you can answer questions for the installer, i wondering if you would be able to use a heredoc to answer them and then it would be totally automated.

You may not even need to change VT at all if it works.
    Automatic responses would definately be a good solution in most cases, but unfortunately, I do not know of every possible question that the nvidia driver installer may ask the user. I know every question it asks me, but it might ask someone with a differently configured system, or a different video card something else which an automated script would not pick up on. Even if I knew every question that could be asked by the driver, I would rather have people choose the options they want while installing the video driver rather than me choose for them - I can't say that I'm so experienced that I know exactly what options will work best for everyone.

The idea of automating responses like that is interesting though. By "heredoc", do you mean this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_document

If you do, then I was not aware that it could be used to automate responses to scripts. Interesting...
    Last edited by terminator14; May 11th, 2013 at 03:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by terminator14 View Post
    My lightdm.log does indeed say "using VT 7" and "Activating VT 7" so LightDM seems like a good candidate to be causing this problem I'm experiencing, but so far I have not been able to track down exactly where this is happening. The 2 config files in /etc/lightdm/ are very short 3-4 lines each. and appear to have nothing relavent to tty's in them. I can't say I understand every bit of /etc/init/lightdm.conf, but it does not seem to deal with chvt or tty's either - not directly anyway (it might be referencing some files that I'm missing that deals with them I suppose).

I also did a:

"grep -iI 'chvt\|tty' `dpkg-query -L lightdm{,-remote-session-freerdp,-remote-session-uccsconfigure} | grep -v "^$" | grep -v '\/\.'` 2>/dev/null"

which basically took the 3 packages on my Ubuntu system that had the words "lightdm" in them, listed all the files the packages had in them, and greped every file for chvt or tty. No hits. Some googling suggests that a chvt option could be added to either the display-setup-script section of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, or the actual script the section points to (I'm a bit unclear). Either way, nothing resembling that section exists in my lightdm.conf file.

Any ideas where else I can look?
    Changing the VT is hardcoded in the lightdm binary by the looks of it, although i would have to look through the code more to see exactly what it's doing.

Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % sed -n '/vt_set_active/,/^}/ p' /home/matthew/storage/linux_source/lightdm/lightdm-1.4.0/src/vt.c
    vt_set_active (gint number)
    {
    #ifdef __linux__
        gint console_fd;

g_debug ("Activating VT %d", number);

/* Pretend always active */
        if (getuid () != 0)
            return;   

console_fd = open_console ();
        if (console_fd >= 0)
        {
            int n = number;

if (ioctl (console_fd, VT_ACTIVATE, n) < 0)
                g_warning ("Error using VT_ACTIVATE %d on /dev/console: %s", n, strerror (errno));

/* Wait for the VT to become active to avoid a suspected
             * race condition somewhere between LightDM, X, ConsoleKit and the kernel.
             * See https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/851612 */
            if (ioctl (console_fd, VT_WAITACTIVE) < 0)
                g_warning ("Error using VT_WAITACTIVE %d on /dev/console: %s", n, strerror (errno));

close (console_fd);
        }
    #endif
    }
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %
    Automatic responses would definately be a good solution in most cases, but unfortunately, I do not know of every possible question that the nvidia driver installer may ask the user. I know every question it asks me, but it might ask someone with a differently configured system, or a different video card something else which an automated script would not pick up on. Even if I knew every question that could be asked by the driver, I would rather have people choose the options they want while installing the video driver rather than me choose for them - I can't say that I'm so experienced that I know exactly what options will work best for everyone.

The idea of automating responses like that is interesting though. By "heredoc", do you mean this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_document

If you do, then I was not aware that it could be used to automate responses to scripts. Interesting...
    Yep ! That is what i mean. I'll give you a contrived example that i knocked up to show you and a real world example of how to use it.

Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew/useful_commands_dir % cat tmp
    #!/bin/bash

# This line wants input
    read -p "hello" read1
    echo "hello 1: $read1"

# and so does this one.
    read -p "hello 2" read2
    echo "hello2: $read2"

matthew-S206:/home/matthew/useful_commands_dir % ./tmp << EOF
    heredoc> This is line input 1
    heredoc> And here is line input 2
    heredoc> EOF
    hello 1: This is line input 1
    hello2: And here is line input 2
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew/useful_commands_dir %
    Very contrived but you get the point. The heredoc is created at the command line but can also be created in a script.

This is a real world example from the slackware script usbimg2disk.sh.

Code:
      # create a FAT32 partition (type 'b')
      /sbin/fdisk $TOWIPE <<EOF
    n
    p

t
    b
    w
    EOF
    Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; May 11th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi

Changing the VT is hardcoded in the lightdm binary by the looks of it, although i would have to look through the code more to see exactly what it's doing.

Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % sed -n '/vt_set_active/,/^}/ p' /home/matthew/storage/linux_source/lightdm/lightdm-1.4.0/src/vt.c
    {
    #ifdef __linux__
        gint console_fd;

g_debug ("Activating VT %d", number);

/* Pretend always active */
        if (getuid () != 0)
            return;   

console_fd = open_console ();
        if (console_fd >= 0)
        {
            int n = number;

g_warning ("Error using VT_ACTIVATE %d on /dev/console: %s", n, strerror (errno));

/* Wait for the VT to become active to avoid a suspected
             * race condition somewhere between LightDM, X, ConsoleKit and the kernel.
             * See https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/851612 */
            if (ioctl (console_fd, VT_WAITACTIVE) < 0)
                g_warning ("Error using VT_WAITACTIVE %d on /dev/console: %s", n, strerror (errno));

close (console_fd);
        }
    #endif
    }
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %
    Wow - thanks. That is definitely useful - at least now I know why it was automatically switching to tty7, and where it is happening. The script is meant to be much simpler, and more portable (the initial intent was to have the script work on multiple distros like Ubuntu, Mint, CentOS, maybe others) than adding code to recompile lightdm would make it, so I'll see if I can use sed on the binary itself to nullify that section without killing the rest of lightdm. I've seen sed used on binaries before, though mostly on strings or filenames of libraries that sed can pick out of a binary - I don't have my hopes up for it in this case but maybe I'll get lucky. Either way, the "sleep 5" solution kind of works - worst case is I'll stick with that. My only concern with it is that on a slower system, the 5 seconds may need to be longer or they will expire before lightdm has a chance to switch the tty first, once again causing the same problem.

Yep ! That is what i mean. I'll give you a contrived example that i knocked up to show you and a real world example of how to use it.

Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew/useful_commands_dir % cat tmp
    #!/bin/bash

# This line wants input
    read -p "hello" read1
    echo "hello 1: $read1"

# and so does this one.
    read -p "hello 2" read2
    echo "hello2: $read2"

matthew-S206:/home/matthew/useful_commands_dir % ./tmp << EOF
    heredoc> This is line input 1
    heredoc> And here is line input 2
    heredoc> EOF
    hello 1: This is line input 1
    hello2: And here is line input 2
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew/useful_commands_dir %
    Very contrived but you get the point. The heredoc is created at the command line but can also be created in a script.

This is a real world example from the slackware script usbimg2disk.sh.

Code:
      # create a FAT32 partition (type 'b')
      /sbin/fdisk $TOWIPE <<EOF
    n
    p

t
    b
    w
    EOF
    Kind regards
    Holy crap, that's awesome! I didn't know you could do that to fdisk, or any other program or script. It's this kind of stuff that makes linux awesome - I'm definitely adding this trick to my linux notes folder.

Thanks guys - I think I've got enough info to come up with something. I'll post a link to the script on this thread once I have it uploaded so you can see what the heck this was all about if anyone is curious.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

so I'll see if I can use sed on the binary itself to nullify that section without killing the rest of lightdm. I've seen sed used on binaries before, though mostly on strings or filenames of libraries that sed can pick out of a binary
    That's actually the source code and not the binary i was seding.

Code:
    sudo apt-get source lightdm
    Even then i would have to have a proper look through the source code to make sure it was changing vt in the compiled binary. That is what i suspect is happening though even though the bit i posted doesn't exactly show that.

It would be great to see your script when you have finished it.

Kind regards

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi

That's actually the source code and not the binary i was seding.

Code:
    sudo apt-get source lightdm
    Even then i would have to have a proper look through the source code to make sure it was changing vt in the compiled binary. That is what i suspect is happening though even though the bit i posted doesn't exactly show that.

It would be great to see your script when you have finished it.

Kind regards
    I'm aware that your example was the source, but unless my script intends to recompile the binary from source, there's really no point in it changing lightdm's source code. I was talking about editing the binary directly with sed, but as I suspected, it appears to be of limited use unless it's done to a string. Ex. I can use:

Code:
    sed -i.bak 's/Using VT/Using RS/g' /sbin/lightdm
    to change the binary directly, and the log file at next reboot will actually say "Using RS" instead of VT, but that appears to only work because "Using VT" is a string that's easy for sed to find in the lightdm binary. It's difficult, if not impossible to change actual code with that method.

I'm no C programmer, but it appears from the source code you've posted that this is the line that does the switching:

Code:
    Where the if statement just checks its error code. My best guess for a fix if I was to edit the source code would be either to replace the content of vt_set_active with a single return line:

Code:
    {
    return;
    }
    or to change the line:

Code:
    to read

Code:
    if (0 < 0)
    but I don't see a way to do it with sed on the binary, so that idea is out.

The next idea I had, which I think may actually work would be to tell rc.local to wait for the log line that comes after:

Code:
    before executing chvt. I don't have the lightdb.log in front of me, but I think the next log line was "Using VT" (I'll check later) so something like:

/etc/rc.local:

Code:
    { until grep -q "Using VT" /var/log/lightdm/lightdb.log; do sleep 1; done; /bin/chvt 2; } &
    might do the trick.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by terminator14 View Post
    I'm aware that your example was the source, but unless my script intends to recompile the binary from source, there's really no point in it changing lightdm's source code. I was talking about editing the binary directly with sed, but as I suspected, it appears to be of limited use unless it's done to a string. Ex. I can use:

Code:
    sed -i.bak 's/Using VT/Using RS/g' /sbin/lightdm
    to change the binary directly, and the log file at next reboot will actually say "Using RS" instead of VT, but that appears to only work because "Using VT" is a string that's easy for sed to find in the lightdm binary. It's difficult, if not impossible to change actual code with that method.

I'm no C programmer, but it appears from the source code you've posted that this is the line that does the switching:

Code:
    Where the if statement just checks its error code. My best guess for a fix if I was to edit the source code would be either to replace the content of vt_set_active with a single return line:

Code:
    {
    return;
    }
    or to change the line:

Code:
    to read

Code:
    if (0 < 0)
    but I don't see a way to do it with sed on the binary, so that idea is out.

The next idea I had, which I think may actually work would be to tell rc.local to wait for the log line that comes after:

Code:
    before executing chvt. I don't have the lightdb.log in front of me, but I think the next log line was "Using VT" (I'll check later) so something like:

/etc/rc.local:

Code:
    { until grep -q "Using VT" /var/log/lightdm/lightdb.log; do sleep 1; done; /bin/chvt 2; } &
    might do the trick.
    Excellent. I glad you can read the function i posted. I'm glad you understood the ioctl command as well.

When i posted my last post, i did not mean to sound patronising. I think i may have come across that way.

We get many different users with many different technical abilities on these forums and it's difficult to gauge a persons technical skill after only a couple of posts.

I would not bother changing the binary for the reasons you have stated, so leave the code alone.

The simplest method may be the last one you suggested or a variation of it....

[+0.03s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
    [+0.03s] DEBUG: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
    [+0.03s] DEBUG: Launching X Server
    You could grep the log, wait for the file /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log to be create, (Launching X Server) assuming this is actually starting the X server then you could wait for the X server pid....

Kind regards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast