Thread: Gnome 3.8, reverting to 3.6

Beans

Gnome 3.8, reverting to 3.6

Hello,
    I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 on an Acer AspireOne notebook and recently installed Gnome 3.8 from 3.6, and there are several issues. Prior to the upgrade, I was running Gnome fallback which was very stable, and now when I try to run it, I can no longer see the top and bottom panels. When I run Gnome or Gnome Classic, they seem to run fine, but the background image is not displayed and only appears as a white screen with my desktop icons and I've tried adjusting the settings via the tweak tool to no avail...
    I also can not seem to get the entire desktop to appear on my 10.5" screen... the bottom tray is 1/2 cut off and there are many instances where windows are cut off at the bottom, which frequently incapacitates the action of the window by cutting off the "cancel, Okay, etc" buttons.
    I'm wondering either how to fix this issue or how to revert back to 3.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been using Ubuntu since 2007 and am fairly competent with the terminal and will fully comply with any further details required.

Thank you...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gnome 3.8, reverting to 3.6

You might find this thread useful

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2136093

Are you sure that the issue is with Gnome 3.8 and not a video driver issue. I would advise using Synaptic Package Manager (not installed by default) as you can search for Gnome and identify which packages to remove and which to install as replacements. I would want to install Gnome 3.6 immediately after removing Gnome 3.8 otherwise you may lose the desktop completely.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thank you for the reply.

I am attempting:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

to try to revert to Gnome 3.6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I removed 3.8 with synaptic on final beta and it was a complicated and long process . If you can locate and install the correct ppa purge/s start there or attempt to fix the problem . Classic in 3.8 is provided by an extension in the the Gnome Shell and not a separate session AFAIK.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thank you all for your responses!
    I was successful in reverting to Gnome 3.6.
    I opened a terminal and used the command:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome
    It removed 3.8 and reinstalled 3.6, system works perfectly again.

Don't mean to sound ignorant to those who know better ways, but thank you aptitude!

For those who may not know, I believe I had to get ppa-purge from synaptic package manager. It is also in the software center if you search ppa-purge.

Beans

This post might be of help for systems too messed up:
    http://oldpapyrus.wordpress.com/2013...le-ppa-issues/