Thread: 12.04 not booting only reaches the black screen

Beans

12.04 not booting only reaches the black screen

I have Ubuntu 12.04 on dual-boot with my Win7 Home Basic.. I have updated it regularly.
    It worked normally a few days back.. I haven't updated in a few days or made any changes.
    When I try to boot it today, first I see a purple screen and then the black screen after a few seconds... and then nothing happens.

What should I do??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 not booting only reaches the black screen

Can you post your hardware specs? Also, are you using proprietary video drivers (ATI, nVidia)? Can you get to a virtual console with Ctrl-Alt-F1 (2, 3, ...) and login to the machine?

Beans

I have a Core i3 4GB RAM 500GB HDD.. Yes i have proprietary video drivers (ATI Radeon). I'll try doing that first and let you know... Thanks for replying!

Beans

Nope, did not get access to the virtual console (Ctrl+Alt+F1(2,3,4,...)) tried all of them....

Beans

I need to get it working... i read at other places regarding boot-repair (a GUI app that works on ubuntu)... http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/ i'll give that a try tonight (after it finishes downloading...)

Any tips on that also welcome.....

Doing a fresh install of 12.04 is the last option i am looking for... before it, I'll try all that is possible..

Beans

Okay... I finally got it working!! While i didn't get to make use of the boot repair disk, i got it working using the recovery mode of ubuntu.
    I pressed the shift key while booting ubuntu to get into the recovery mode. i got it working from there.

After restarting the system, i made a few updates using the 'update manager'.. when i made it check for more updates, it asked me to do a 'partial upgrade' (distribution upgrade)... this was the first encounter with a 'partial upgrade' for me.. i did that too, realizing afterwards when i searched for more info on partial upgrade, i should not have done it.. But anyways, All is working good now.

Thanks!

Beans

Hey,
    I've been having the exact same problem. I've been able to reach Recovery mode though. Can you tell me how exactly you fixed it using recovery mode?

Thanks!

Beans

Arrow Re: 12.04 not booting only reaches the black screen

Hey nishanthc-1993,

I am very sorry I really don't remember much regarding what I did.. (my question is almost a year old) i should have jotted down then what I did.. Anyways, if you can tell me about the reasons of your problem, or a bit in detail about your problem, I might be able to help!