Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Compile rt3290 wireless drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't Compile rt3290 wireless drivers

Still no hints nowhere. The wireless connection seems super fine to me (from the netinfo.txt, as well as syslog). And no activity, either wireless or anything else, seem to trigger anything that may cause a freeze. At this point, I am totally clueless. Will take another look at the patch (since it is the only thing that I have used rather carelessly) to see if there is any critical setting. But I guess that will be tomorrow as I am too tired now.

Meanwhile, take a look yourself at other logs in the /var/log directory, may be even older versions of syslog.2.gz or even older to see if there are any suspicious records at their ends (assuming the messages we are actually interested in are the last thing recorded, before you reboot).

I'd reboot my own laptop (I do it only once or twice a month ) to make sure I am following the correct logs.

Of course, no clues = no solutions, we desperately need any hints about what may be causing the freeze. Can you identify the exact situation when the freeze occurs? Can you repeat that situation at different times after booting (immediately, after some usage, whenever you want)? If so, please explain in detail what exactly triggers the freeze.

One more thing, disable IPv6 completely following this post : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12640479
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Still no hints nowhere. The wireless connection seems super fine to me (from the netinfo.txt, as well as syslog). And no activity, either wireless or anything else, seem to trigger anything that may cause a freeze. At this point, I am totally clueless. Will take another look at the patch (since it is the only thing that I have used rather carelessly) to see if there is any critical setting. But I guess that will be tomorrow as I am too tired now.

Meanwhile, take a look yourself at other logs in the /var/log directory, may be even older versions of syslog.2.gz or even older to see if there are any suspicious records at their ends (assuming the messages we are actually interested in are the last thing recorded, before you reboot).

I'd reboot my own laptop (I do it only once or twice a month ) to make sure I am following the correct logs.

Of course, no clues = no solutions, we desperately need any hints about what may be causing the freeze. Can you identify the exact situation when the freeze occurs? Can you repeat that situation at different times after booting (immediately, after some usage, whenever you want)? If so, please explain in detail what exactly triggers the freeze.

One more thing, disable IPv6 completely following this post : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12640479
    The freeze does not occur when i connect to any access points, The freeze occurs when i try to access internet through firefox, pidgin, empathy etc.

Beans
    Distro

Please disable IPv6 following the link in my previous post, and post back if it makes any difference. I think you can safely keep it disabled even if it doesn't make any.
    Varun

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Please disable IPv6 following the link in my previous post, and post back if it makes any difference. I think you can safely keep it disabled even if it doesn't make any.
    Nope didn't work

I'm gonna try upgrading the kernel

Beans

Great post and thank you for the patch!

It compiled and installed correctly. The strength of the wifi signal increased to 100% (from 80% using native drivers 13.04 ubuntu).

But bluetooth (on this rt3290 chip) is not available still

Do you have some ideas how to enable it?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro

Welcome to the forums taralej !

Glad you found the post helpful.

As for the bluetooth, even if included on the same card, usually bluetooth troubleshooting approaches are different, and to be honest, I have no idea yet how this card is associated with bluetooth. So I'd suggest you start a new thread with a suitable title asking for help on specifically the bluetooth issue.

Feel free to post a link to this post/thread as a background/reference to the issue (if you think it is related), as well as posting a link to your thread here, so anyone having same issue with both BT/Wifi can follow the thread for a possible fix. If I got enough time, I'd like to take a look as well.

Good luck, and hope you'll get good help with the remaining issue(s).
    Varun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12