Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.04 in EFI mode

Beans

Dual booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.04 in EFI mode

I bought a new laptop with Windows 8 installed and installed Ubuntu alongside it in EFI mode. Grub 2 shows up with Ubuntu listed in it but no Windows partition. When I use Gparted the partition is still there but not showing up on boot. I have run the boot-repair program but that hasn't fixed the problem. Is there anywhere I can add it into Grub to view it and boot into it?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Dual booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.04 in EFI mode

Post the link to BootInfo report from Boot-Repair.

Is your system one that will boot Windows with secure boot off, or does Windows only boot with secure boot on. Also some are modified to only boot the Windows efi file. Boot-Repair has a work-around for those also.
    Did you install Ubuntu in UEFI mode or BIOS mode. How you boot installer is how it installs.
    Did you install the 64 bit version?
    Is this an UltraBook? Also has issues on RAID and dual video.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

I've got this same problem.
    I bought a win8 laptop this morning and succesfully uefi installed Ubuntu 13.04 x64.
    Upon rebooting there are 2 Windows items in grub but open trying them I get the error that the file isn't found.
    I made sure I didnt format my windows partitions, and I found my EPS partition at gpt0,2
    What can I do to fix it?

edit: I had to re-enable secure boot te get windows to work.. solved for me!
    Last edited by dannyvanderzande; May 9th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Post the link to BootInfo report from Boot-Repair.

Is your system one that will boot Windows with secure boot off, or does Windows only boot with secure boot on. Also some are modified to only boot the Windows efi file. Boot-Repair has a work-around for those also.
    Did you install Ubuntu in UEFI mode or BIOS mode. How you boot installer is how it installs.
    Did you install the 64 bit version?
    Is this an UltraBook? Also has issues on RAID and dual video.
    Boot repair: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5610712/

I have secure boot turned off at the moment and when I turn it on all I get on the screen is "System Boot Failed, Operating system is invalid" With it turned off I get the Grub window and Ubunut boots fine.

I installed Ubuntu 64bit in UEFI mode.

This is an Ultrabook, Sony Vaio Duo 11 (SVD112290S). No RAID involved and dual video works perfect. It outputs over VGA and HDMI at the same time with ease. I'm using a Core i7-3687U 8GB Memory and 256B SSD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You did format over the Windows partition. Your efi partition only has the Windows efi boot files and of course they do not work as there is no Windows.
    With secure boot off can you select ubuntu from UEFI menu and get it to boot? If not you have a system that violates UEFI spec (as do lot of Windows) and internal modified UEFI to only boot the Windows efi boot file even with secure boot of.
    If Ubuntu does not boot directly you can rename Winows boot file to really be the grub efi file to make it work.

But if you did not intend to overwrite Windows you may need to restore that first. It looks like you overwrote all partitions except the efi partition, so you do not have the vendor recovery partition. Did you make a full backup before installing? If not you have to contact Vendor and get a new DVD. Some may only charge a shipping fee, other charge for a full install.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You did format over the Windows partition. Your efi partition only has the Windows efi boot files and of course they do not work as there is no Windows.
    With secure boot off can you select ubuntu from UEFI menu and get it to boot? If not you have a system that violates UEFI spec (as do lot of Windows) and internal modified UEFI to only boot the Windows efi boot file even with secure boot of.
    If Ubuntu does not boot directly you can rename Winows boot file to really be the grub efi file to make it work.

But if you did not intend to overwrite Windows you may need to restore that first. It looks like you overwrote all partitions except the efi partition, so you do not have the vendor recovery partition. Did you make a full backup before installing? If not you have to contact Vendor and get a new DVD. Some may only charge a shipping fee, other charge for a full install.
    When I turn the laptop on in UEFI mode Ubuntu boots up no problem. The grub even has a selection for Sony's built in recovery system that works fine. It allows me to boot into the BIOS etc. If I reinstall windows onto a NTFS Partition could I use an Ubuntu live CD with boot repair to get them both back up and running?

Beans

Just as a quick run down I used parted and it shows the Windows partition. Did it just get removed from the EFI partition?

(parted) print
    Model: ATA TOSHIBA THNSNS25 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 256GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 1049kB 99.6MB 98.6MB fat32 boot
    2 99.6MB 183GB 183GB ext4
    5 183GB 205GB 21.5GB ntfs
    4 205GB 248GB 42.9GB ntfs
    3 248GB 256GB 8463MB linux-swap(v1)

(parted)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is your pastebin not correct? It only shows this. Post a new link.

Partition Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors System
    /dev/sda1 2,048 194,559 192,512 EFI System partition
    /dev/sda2 194,560 483,588,095 483,393,536 Data partition (Windows/Linux)
    /dev/sda3 483,588,096 500,117,503 16,529,408 Swap partition (Linux)

Beans

Ok I'll run the Boot-repair program again and send you the new read out.

Beans

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5652196/

The 21GB partition is just a storage partition I'm using so that both OS's can access the same files if they need to.
    Last edited by jerden; May 10th, 2013 at 08:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast