Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shopping safely on line

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: shopping safely on line

Xubuntu 12.04 LTS has three years support, everything else apart from LTS releases, at this point, has eighteen months. Not rolling release. While the advice might be good for security, it is a strange way of going about it and expect (regular) breakages if you are living on the bleeding edge. If you want something stable use an LTS and tweak security settings as needed (as I say, behind a router is pretty safe). And read the link I posted earlier.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak Peg View Post
    I dipped my toe in with xubuntu so if it's secure I'll definitely go back to it. Is it a rolling release or do you need to download the latest version and the up date to keep on the bleeding edge. As for dev versions I'm a little to new to linux , but thanks for the tip

Cheers
    Ubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu/ubuntu-gnome/lubuntu saucy (13.10) will be rolling release 13.10 is in its 1st month of development the version will be 13.7 13.8 13.9 changing every month
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

fwiw I have *one* credit card only dedicated to Internet purchases (I *only* use it for Internet purchases and I have a special *low* limit on it)

(I got this card connected to Paypal + Amazon + Google etc for example)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

one of the best things you can do is pick up keepassx and learn how to use it. Go through all your important passwords and use keepassx to generate new passwords for all of them, using a different password for each. Make sure you use the most complicated passwords allowed by each institutions password criteria. Some will allow more characters and some won't allow special characters. Keepassx password generator allows you to modify the password criteria so that you can fit within the institutions password rules. Make sure the master password for your keepassx file is complicated and secure. Remember it and don't lose it. Backup your password file on a usb key in case you have to reinstall.
    Last edited by BigCityCat; May 11th, 2013 at 11:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

the nice thing is that you can also use keepassx for windows as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 for keepassx

There's even a J2ME version for older "smartphones".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    +1 for keepassx

There's even a J2ME version for older "smartphones".
    forgot to mention that windows has a portable version of keepassx that you can put on a usb key so you can take your passwords anywhere. as long as you use a good master password you shouldn't have to worry.

Beans

Thanks Guys for all your replies. I'll have a look into keepassx and the one credit card idea is good

Many thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12