Thread: xUbuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

xUbuntu 13.04

I just did the upgrade to xUbuntu 13.04 and now, at least once or twice a day, when I go to open an application - today it was Firefox - xUbuntu logs me out of everything, and all my open apps are nuked.

This is a far cry from the super-stable xUbuntu 12 .... help!!!! This is my work computer!

- Zoomiest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: xUbuntu 13.04

Did you already look into the system log file if there are any errors recorded? Do you receive an error message upon the crash or are you just kicked out of the desktop? Does that happen with a particular kind of application?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu provides vital information using various system log files. These log files are typically plain ASCII text in a standard log file format, and most of them sit in the traditional system log subdirectory /var/log. Many are generated by the system log daemon, syslogd on behalf of the system and certain applications, while some applications generate their own logs by writing directly to files in /var/log.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If it is a work computer you should have stuck with the LTS release, 12.04 LTS. That is what they are intended for; servers and production machines that need to be stable and often on 24/7. Also five year support (April 2017). Was there a reason you upgraded? Newer driver in the 13.04 kernel? My adage: If it ain't broke don't fix it.

13.04 has only been out for a week or two and while it may work fine on some/many machines issues on and off for a month or two shouldn't be unexpected as things settle.

Incidentally, sorry to say there is no downgrading, only a full install.

PS: Sometimes upgrading through the Update Manager, if that's how you did it, can be problematic and give life to all kinds of strange quirks. I find a clean install best. Do you have some of the old repositories still enabled if you did an upgrade through the Update Manager?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 9th, 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zoomiest View Post
    I just did the upgrade to xUbuntu 13.04 and now, at least once or twice a day, when I go to open an application - today it was Firefox - xUbuntu logs me out of everything, and all my open apps are nuked.
    I have the same problem. This behavior looks very much like an X server crash.

It has happened 4-5 times for me in the couple of days since upgrading, always when I started interacting with an application. In at least two cases (maybe every case; I can't remember) it was when I brought a different window into focus.

When I log back in, apport reports several program crashes. I suspect most or all of them are side-effects of the X server suddenly disappearing, rather than the cause.

I'm using Xubuntu amd64 with the proprietary nVidia driver. So far, I have tried nvidia-310 (official ubuntu repository), nvidia-313-updates (official ubuntu repository), and nvidia-319 (xorg-edgers ppa). The crashes have occured with all of them. I have not yet tried the open source driver, but it's worth noting that my system was perfectly stable using nvidia-310 before I upgraded from Quantal to Raring.

I haven't spotted a smoking gun in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/Xorg.0.log yet.

Beans

Update: This xfce4-session bug could be the culprit:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1104435

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9709

A possible fix is now in the raring-proposed repository for testing.