Thread: IO error on Cifs mount

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

IO error on Cifs mount

Hi Folks,

Upgraded from 12.0 to 13.04 (via 12.10) - 64 bit AMD G-T56N 1.65Ghz. cifs-utils are installed.

Server is OpenIndiana publishing a CIF share. The wsize force is necessary to get around a packet incompatability.

Since upgrading the client, I now get an IO error and I'm not sure how to proceed with this.

michelle@FitPC3:~$ sudo mount //192.168.0.2/mirror /home/michelle/Documents/mirror -o user=username,password=password,file_mode=0777,dir _mode=0777,wsize=65536
    mount error(5): Input/output error
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
    Kochanski-This is the first time I've ever been seduced by predeterminism theory.
    Kryten-Starbug was built to last sir. This old baby's crashed more times than a ZX81.
    Rimmer-Broadcast on all frequencies and all known languages, including Welsh.

Beans
    Distro

Re: IO error on Cifs mount

Input/output error means it is having trouble reading the drive possibly because of corruption or failure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The wsize might be too big. Check your cabling, try switching cables and ports on your router. All it takes is one bad connection to mess up file shares.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

No joy. 12.04 works fine. 13.04 doesn't want to know. Cables, etc. checked.
    Kochanski-This is the first time I've ever been seduced by predeterminism theory.
    Kryten-Starbug was built to last sir. This old baby's crashed more times than a ZX81.

Beans

For what it's worth, I'm having the exact same problem mounting CIFS shares from an OpenIndiana server. I'm using a clean install of 13.04 though. 12.10 worked fine.

Beans
    Distro

So ... no one has any insight in to this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by msknight View Post
    So ... no one has any insight in to this?
    It's unfortunate that the error is reported as an I/O error. It's not really. it's a mount error. See the part in red
    Code:
    mount error(5): Input/output error
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
    This may be do to incompatibility in the Solaris version of CIFS. They roll their own (It's not Samba at all). Try a more basic mount command.

Beans

Found a solution to this elsewhere -- which I then lost, and can't find it. Found this thread, which is precisely my problem (Solaris-based CIFS server). My mounts worked with 12.whatever, failed when I upgraded to 13.

The solution is to add "sec=ntlm" to your list of options in the mount command. I haven't looked into what's happening in detail, but presumably the Windows authentication default changed, and now we have to specify using ntlm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm seeing this same error and the sec=ntlm is not helping any.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2156972
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Another way you can get this exact error is if the hostname you give in fstab isn't the same as the hostname of the server (e.g., you have an alias for it, an entry in /etc/hosts, whatever). For example, if the server's name is "foo" and you have an entry in it in /etc/hosts (for example) giving it the alias "bar", an attempt to mount //bar/share will fail while mounting //foo/share will succeed, even though the names resolve to the same machine.

-- T.J.