May I suggest something?
Originally Posted by gusduenas
Install another "flavour" and then install Kubuntu 13.04. For me and my G4 (a dual-boot system with 2 hd's, like yours) it worked.
But you must follow this steps:
1. Boot a Lubuntu 13.04 live cd with the booting parameters that you already know:
then, after a while
live video=offb:off nouveau.modeset=0 single
then, at the prompt:
modprobe nvidiafb mode_option=1680x1053-32
2. Install Lubuntu and, when asked if you want to automatically login to your account, leave the default option checked, which is "no": do not automatically login
3. After the successful installation, when asked if you want to keep trying ubuntu or to reboot, choose to keep trying
4. Open the file manager, look for the filesystem where you installed Lubuntu (usually identified by the size of the partition; ex: "154 GB filesystem"). Mount it, look for the etc directory and choose to open it from terminal
5. At the terminal you should have a /media/longstringofnumbers/etc prompt. Type
6. Add this to the file
sudo leafpad modules
Save it and close it
7. Then type 8. Type and again add
to the file, save and close it
9. Copy the path where you are to include the "etc" directory, but not the "initramfs-tools". You should copy something like
. Then cd to it:
and edit the images section to include the booting parameters:
sudo nano yaboot.conf
Save and close
append="video offb:off nouveau.modeset=0"
Wait for yaboot to update
sudo ybin -v - C /the/same/path/you/used/before/to/etc/yaboot.conf
You should now be able to reboot to Lubuntu. Maybe you have to force reboot by pressing the reboot or shutdown.
Login to your Lubuntu session. Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type
After the installation is complete, you may reboot again.
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
Then, at the session login, choose "KDE Plasma Desktop" from the dropdown menu, instead of Lubuntu.
You shoud now have a perfect Kubuntu 13.04 on your G5.
Hope it helps. Please keep us informed.