Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTP FileZilla server alternative for Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question FTP FileZilla server alternative for Linux

I'm wondering is there any alternative to FileZilla server in Linux?
    PS

• I'm looking for a server with GUI manager which offers nearly zero configuration I can run and manage FileZilla server within 5 min while PureFTPd needs at least 2 hrs and managing users and groups really painful specially from flat file
    • I tried to use PureAdmin (GTK manager for PureFTPd) and I found it really stupid by comparing to FileZilla GUI manager
    Last edited by mbnoimi; May 29th, 2013 at 11:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: FTP FileZilla server alternative for Linux

Have you looked at using proftpd? It Doesn't have a GUI, But creating users and such, is a simple job

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_WM View Post
    Have you looked at using proftpd? It Doesn't have a GUI, But creating users and such, is a simple job
    Sounds like he has and is not impressed. Personally I use vsftpd, and managing things via command line is pretty simple. However, I have a fairly basic setup of it running at home only...
    613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mbnoimi View Post
    I'm wondering is there any alternative to FileZilla server in Linux?
    PS

• I'm looking for a server with GUI manager which offers nearly zero configuration I can run and manage FileZilla server within 5 min while PureFTPd needs at least 2 hrs and managing users and groups really painful specially from flat file
    • I tried to use Pure-Admin (GTK manager for PureFTPd) and I found it really stupid by comparing to FileZilla GUI manager
    Personally, pureftpd is very easy to manage in the command line, check it out

On a clean pure-ftpd install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pure-ftpd
    cd /etc/pure-ftpd
    sudo ln -s /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/PureDB /etc/pure-ftpd/auth/10_PureDB
    Make sure the following file has "No" as its contents
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/PAMAuthentication
    Once its changed, press control+x to save

Now, PureDB is setup. You dont need to run the above lines ever again.

Now, to add users, take a look at the following line (there are other options that can be exposed via pure-pw --help, but I am just trying to keep it simple here)
    Code:
    sudo pure-pw useradd usernamehere -u useridhere -g groupidhere -D /path/to/chroot
    Replace usernamehere, useridhere, groupidhere, and /path/to/chroot with the correct info. To disable the chroot for that user, use a lower case D instead of an uppercase

After adding the account(s), run
    Code:
    sudo pure-pw mkdb
    to save the accounts.

When you want to add more accounts in the future, just repeat the last two steps (you can run pure-pw as many times as you want before saving)

Now, restart Pure-FTPD (note that you only have to restart it once, the passwords will be added to PureDB on subsequent runs of mkdb, and you do not need to restart pure-ftpd for changes to take effect). You only have to do the adduser step each time you want a new user
    Last edited by sandyd; May 30th, 2013 at 04:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_WM View Post
    Thanks, I really don't interest in CLI solution for managing FTP server... I'm looking for GUI only

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

They're all going to be configured via the shell.

If you're not tied to the FTP protocol, you could use SFTP instead. And that comes built-in with the package OpenSSH-Server. that is zero-config. Just install it and you have SFTP access. But if you want 'virtual' accounts or must have the old, insecure FTP, then that steers you back to pure-ftpd or vsftpd

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    They're all going to be configured via the shell.
    I don't think that so.

As long as Windows have GUI tools Linux must has GUI tools too, the only thing that I didn't find the perfect one (FileZilla server is perfect but works only under Windows)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

But Windows is rather underpowered and weak, so it is expected that there be GUI tools.

On Linux, the GUIs are mostly just front-ends for a small subset of functionality. If you want the full power and flexibility of the applications, the plain configuration files are the way to go. I used to try to use the GUIs but once I found out what the regular UI could do, I made the transition.

That said, for pure-ftp there is a tool called 'pureadmin' and another 'PureUserAdmin' The former seems not to have been maintained of late. The latter is a web-based UI, but it will manage users which is what you expressed interest in.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mbnoimi View Post
    As long as Windows have GUI tools Linux must has GUI tools too
    That's one way to look at it, but it doesn't hold much water in reality. Windows has GUI tools as that is why people use Windows, for the user interface. When switching to Linux, you can't keep the same mentality you had when you used Windows.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    But Windows is rather underpowered and weak, so it is expected that there be GUI tools.

On Linux, the GUIs are mostly just front-ends for a small subset of functionality. If you want the full power and flexibility of the applications, the plain configuration files are the way to go. I used to try to use the GUIs but once I found out what the regular UI could do, I made the transition.
    If your view point is correct, why Linux maintainers working on desktop environments (Unity, KDE, Gnome.. etc)?!!!

By the way, openSuSE offers super nice GUI tool for managing FTP & LDAP servers (I think through YaST) while in ubuntu I couldn't find alternative.

That said, for pure-ftp there is a tool called 'pureadmin' and another 'PureUserAdmin' The former seems not to have been maintained of late. The latter is a web-based UI, but it will manage users which is what you expressed interest in.
    Actually the most important GUI thing is managing user & groups. The configuration of FTP server usually set once it doesn't need many modifications.
    Last edited by mbnoimi; May 13th, 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast