Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Home Transparency

Beans

Dash Home Transparency

Hello All,
    One thing I havent figured out yet:
    When I open the applications area from the dash home, the window where all my applications are stored, is transparent so my desktop background shows through, making it difficult to see the applications. Is there a way to make the tranparency solid?
    Thanks for the help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Dash Home Transparency

Hi GUZZLR.

You may try installing Ubuntu Tweak and play with the Dash color, opacity, and blur style. Take a look at this tutorial.

Regards.

Beans

Well, I tried this, and i do like the functionality of it, but i still have transperency when the dash home opens. Thanks for the help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Install 'compiz-config-settings-manager'. And you will be able to 'control' transparency. See the screenshot:

CompizConfig Settings Manager_001.png
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

I installed this, and clicked on Ubuntu Unity Plugin. But my tabs do not resemble yours. My tabs on top say: Behaviour, Switcher, Experimental. Also, what does <Super> mean?
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

<Super> generally means the 'windows' key (or the key with windows logo) on the keyboard.

Are you using 12.04? I am on "Saucy". Don't worry you have the same feature under 'experimental', I think, if not look around it will be there.

Beans

[QUOTE=fantab;12642691]<Super> generally means the 'windows' key (or the key with windows logo) on the keyboard.

This is what I thought: Super = Windows Key. I have converted chromebook to Ubuntu 12.10, which is why I was having difficulty. I've been playing with it for sometime now, and I'm starting to believe there is no adjustment for what I'm looking for...which is adjusting the opacity for the menu window which pops up from the launcher icons. so far all I've been able to find for opacity adjustment is the "Launcher" and the "Panel" (panel is the thin bar at the top of the screen, with battery, network connection, sound,etc...
    Maybe this should be an area of concern for future releases of Unbuntu
    I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 on a converted Chromebook

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I have no issue adjusting my DASH opacity. But then I can confirm on Precise, Raring and Saucy... 12.10 Quantal I cannot as I don't have it.

Beans
    Distro

In 12.04 and 12.10 we can use CCSM to set the top panel opacity to zero = transparent. I like it like that but In 13.04 & Saucy it is not enough. The Dash background shows across the top panel preventing from being truely transparent. The solution? Use CCSM to set the Dask background to 2. Then the top panel becomes transparent but so does the Dash. Sadly.

So, in CCSM>Ubuntu Unity Plugin>General tab (on 13.04) click Background color and you can adjust the level opacity for the background. Or rest it to default level by clicking the x tab. But you will loose top panel transparency on 13.04 but not (I think) on 12.04.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GUZZLR View Post

I'm starting to believe there is no adjustment for what I'm looking for...which is adjusting the opacity for the menu window which pops up from the launcher icons. so far all I've been able to find for opacity adjustment is the "Launcher" and the "Panel" (panel is the thin bar at the top of the screen, with battery, network connection, sound,etc...
    Maybe this should be an area of concern for future releases of Unbuntu
    I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 on a converted Chromebook
    The opacity of the Dash (opens from top icon in launcher) is adjustable as described thru setting opacity level in 'Background Color'

The opacity of the quicklists, (r. click on any launcher icon) is non user adjustable

As far as concern for future Ubuntu releases, I doubt it matters to Ubuntu/Canonical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast