Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    123

    Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    I run a small server with a GUI on ubuntu, that GUI being Cinnamon, it was all working normally, now, it looks like this:

    The window buttons don't even show up, any help?
    Last edited by linuxvstheworld; May 10th, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    110
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    I had a similar problem with LXDE once, but can't remember exactly how I solved it...

    A bit of a shot in the dark here, but try entering the command for whatever window manager you're using, be it Metacity, Compiz, Openbox, or whatever, into the terminal. This should hopefully start your window manager back up again, as it looks to me like it has for some reason stopped running. Just a quick check - have you tried rebooting? I'd try that first if not... but I am not really experienced that much with servers...

    Hope this helps anyway

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    123

    Re: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by 25tom View Post
    I had a similar problem with LXDE once, but can't remember exactly how I solved it...

    A bit of a shot in the dark here, but try entering the command for whatever window manager you're using, be it Metacity, Compiz, Openbox, or whatever, into the terminal. This should hopefully start your window manager back up again, as it looks to me like it has for some reason stopped running. Just a quick check - have you tried rebooting? I'd try that first if not... but I am not really experienced that much with servers...

    Hope this helps anyway
    I'm using the default window manager, or whatever window manager cinnamon comes with, i can't do the keyboard shortcut to even run a command. My plan is to ssh into it, log out of it, and switch the DE, will post results.
    Last edited by linuxvstheworld; May 9th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    110
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    It seems that the window manager for Cinnamon is 'muffin'. Try using the command
    Code:
    muffin --replace
    to restart it, if that's possible over SSH. Good luck anyway

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    123

    Re: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by 25tom View Post
    It seems that the window manager for Cinnamon is 'muffin'. Try using the command
    Code:
    muffin --replace
    to restart it, if that's possible over SSH. Good luck anyway
    The thing is, even the bottom bar doesn't show up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    110
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    Hmmm, maybe you should try another DE. Did that command do anything at all (if it was possible to run it)? Do you have another DE installed already? And if so can you logout, then login to that other DE?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    123

    Re: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by 25tom View Post
    Hmmm, maybe you should try another DE. Did that command do anything at all (if it was possible to run it)? Do you have another DE installed already? And if so can you logout, then login to that other DE?
    Code:
    muffin --replace
    did not work.... I am going to attempt the second plan I had in mind, will post results of that as well...

    UPDATE: Every time I attempt to start a program or a script it comes up with this result
    Code:
    haidawe@haidawe:~$ muffin --replace
    muffin: command not found
    haidawe@haidawe:~$ docky
    [Info  16:59:21.087] Docky version: 2.1.4 Release
    [Info  16:59:21.164] Kernel version: 3.2.0.41
    [Info  16:59:21.166] CLR version: 4.0.30319.1
    [Warn  16:59:21.201] [Gtk] cannot open display: 
    haidawe@haidawe:~$ compiz --replace
    compiz (core) - Fatal: Couldn't open display
    I tried getting Docky so I can have a small amount of functionality left, no luck either...
    Last edited by linuxvstheworld; May 9th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    110
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    Hmmm, I'm a little out of my depth now... what are your hardware specs, in case it's a graphics problem? And how long has this been a problem? Because knowing if it's a sudden problem on a system that's worked fine for a while or problems with a fairly new system will narrow down the possibilities...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    110
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    Not sure if it's the same problem, but this MAY help: http://askubuntu.com/questions/31167...-a-fallback-wm
    Last edited by 25tom; May 9th, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    123

    Re: Cinnamon not working on Ubuntu 12.04

    FIXED! I had to reinstall cinnamon in its entirety, I believe the update through update manager messed it up.
    For future people who may have this issue, try this and reboot:
    Code:
     
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable        
    sudo apt-get update         
    sudo apt-get install cinnamon
    This code was provided from here. Thanks for everyone's help!
    Last edited by linuxvstheworld; May 9th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •