Thread: Disappearing Pointer

Beans

Disappearing Pointer

This is a subtle but annoying problem that's managed to get under my skin and now I'm obsessed with solving it. Clearly I need a life. ; ) Meanwhile, onward.

What happens is, under certain conditions, the pointer changes from being "normal" to being "flawed":
    • "Normal": it remains in view at all times, switching seamlessly between images (hand, arrow, etc.)
    • "Flawed": it disappears after clicking, and reappears when moved. It also very reliably disappears over the icons in System Settings.

A Google on this tells me that it's pretty common across versions and distros, but the common solutions I've seen don't work for me:
    • Switch from DMZ-White (the cursor theme I'm using) to something else: I tried this, and it works, but (and I never realized I cared about this so much) I really like DMZ-White and haven't found another that I feel like using.
    • Remove/Disable Unclutter: Not using it!

I think this is a problem with DMZ-White, but I'm not sure. I tried another theme "Core," and didn't see the flawed behavior after using it for several days. Still, I don't think I have enough info to log a bug with DMZ-White.

Opening Software Center reliably causes the condition, but there may be other things that cause it too.

To get it back to normal, this works 90% of the time: Restarting and THEN logging out and back in. A simple restart or log out almost never works.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on a Toshiba Portege R100 with a little over a gig of RAM. My graphics card is a Trident CyberBlade XP4m32, and the driver is xserver-xorg-video-trident. I'm using Unity 2D.

Questions:

Does anyone else experience this? This would help me to put together a bug report if I ever get there.

Can anyone reccommend good tools for isolating this? Both syslog and Xorg.0.log don't seem to catch any differences between the cursor's normal and flawed behaviors.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by thatstheway; May 9th, 2013 at 03:17 PM.

Beans

Re: Disappearing Pointer

Ah. There are a few bug reports on this out there: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/774434