Thread: Sound stopped working

Beans

Exclamation Sound stopped working

Loaded Ubuntu 12.04 LTS last night, everything worked fine until this afternoon. All normal sound suddenly stopped, all I get is a scratchng noise at random. I have tried every troubleshooting guide I could find, nothing at all has changed. I'm a rank beginner, so I'm not at all sure what I'm doing.

Beans

Re: Sound stopped working

Okay, after trying all the troubleshooting, I just noticed the sound controller next to the clock is showing the speaker icon and then "--".

Beans

According to my sound settings, the play sound through box is empty, and I have no idea how to fix this. The application tab lists no application currently playing audio, no matter what I have running. Is there something I can do to fix this, please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

If you had installed and were using the pulse audio equalizer I have a possible solution if not I have no suggestions other than what you have tried. I had a sound icon that looked like the symbol but it was my equalizer profile at fault. .....(
    “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.”

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

By default I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu and Debian distributions use alsa-

One way to know is to open the terminal and run:
    Code:
    alsamixer
    If your Ubuntu distro is using 'alsa' by default you can adjust each one of the columns in the alsa mixer.
    If your not greeted with a black/grey background with several colums than your distro is not using alsa--

Ensure that you have all of the columns raised all the way up and the PCM and the Master turned all the way up as well.

You should be able to perform a sound test too-
    {00} means un-muted and {mm} means muted at the bottom of the columns.

I have heard of pulse audio but Frogs Hairs should be trusted with the details of that as I do not know that much about
    'pulse audio'

Hope this helps
    "A morning w/o coffee is like something w/o something else"

-:- Slackware, Linux Mint & CentOS -:-