Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What OS are you running with Pentium M and what do you want next?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What OS are you running with Pentium M and what do you want next?

Quote Originally Posted by ImConfused View Post
    Pentium M 1500MHz running Mint Linux 13 Maya XFCE. I have it mounted on a USB hard drive partition and I use a CD with isolinux to bootstrap the system to work. Can't boot from a USB with my Bios.

Started looking at Gentoo. I don't know if I will give up on it but I know that Gentoo allows you to configure the kernel to the computer instead of trying to get a computer to fit to the kernel. It looks really difficult but if I can get it to work it should be well worth the aggravation.

The discussions I see about trying to get Cannonical to do the right thing by not abandoning a perfectly good computer system remind me of what a friend told me. When you argue with a fool, who is the fool?
    If you are interested, you can try Lubuntu-fake-PAE https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE

We are not sure that older Pentium M CPUs can run well with it. So, at an early stage after booting into Lubuntu 13.04, check that

Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    reports 36 bit physical address size! (While you are running Linux Mint 13, the cpuinfo will probably report only 32 bits.)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnLight View Post
    My client has an IBM T42 with a Pentium M that we want to use as an LTSP thin client but since we upgraded to 13.04 we have to resort to a workaround and it is not worth the effort.
    Your client and you decide what to do, but I think the extra effort is very small (to use fake-pae to help in the upgrading process).

But if you want a pure official release, because you do not rely on this work-around, I can understand and accept it, although I have an IBM T42 myself and Lubuntu 13.04 runs beautifully with its Pentium M processor.

Beans
    Hidden!

We have issued this poll in order to know how much effort to focus on the Pentium M problems with PAE kernels.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2143502

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DawnLight View Post
    My client has an IBM T42 with a Pentium M that we want to use as an LTSP thin client but since we upgraded to 13.04 we have to resort to a workaround and it is not worth the effort.
    This is exactly why Edubuntu supports the "classic gnome" DE in 12.04:

edubuntu_fallback.jpg

And both Ubuntu and Edubuntu 12.04 are supported until April 2017.

Beans

Where, and how well, does this PPA play into this game:

https://launchpad.net/~prof7bit/+archive/fake-pae

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    This is exactly why Edubuntu supports the "classic gnome" DE in 12.04:

edubuntu_fallback.jpg

And both Ubuntu and Edubuntu 12.04 are supported until April 2017.
    So I should add Edubuntu 12.04 to the list of available systems in post #1?

Beans

Excuse me, kansasnoob, but what does Edubuntu and classic gnome have to do with pae, please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mint 13 also, 14 seems slower/buggier. On a Lenovo G580. I also have a Dell D400 (also a pentium m) running Porteus, it is even faster.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

With that proc, I'd explore distributions that feature the razor-qt desktop. I'm very impressed with it's speed and ease of configuration.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Mint 13 also, 14 seems slower/buggier. On a Lenovo G580. I also have a Dell D400 (also a pentium m) running Porteus, it is even faster.
    Do you know by heart the end of life of Mint 13 and Porteus? And are you running the main flavour of Mint 13?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast