Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What OS are you running with Pentium M and what do you want next?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What OS are you running with Pentium M and what do you want next?

I sure don't, I'm running cinnamon.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DawnLight View Post
    Excuse me, kansasnoob, but what does Edubuntu and classic gnome have to do with pae, please?
    Nothing other than the fact that you can still install a non-pae 12.04 version of Ubuntu and use the lightweight metacity window manager up until April 2017.

And in that reply I was specifically referring to the OP's reference to LTSP

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Where, and how well, does this PPA play into this game:

https://launchpad.net/~prof7bit/+archive/fake-pae
    7bit's fake-pae ppa is used by both mörgæs and me to make the pae operating system accept Pentium M CPUs. It works well; we have seen no problem. But we need to warn, that some Pentium M CPUs may not work with pae, so we ask each user to run

Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    and check if it reports 36 bit physical address size.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    So I should add Edubuntu 12.04 to the list of available systems in post #1?
    No. Only Lubuntu and Xubuntu 12.04 live images shipped with non-pae kernels, but there are still updated non-pae 12.04 netboot images available:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/non-pae/

I only suggest using the "classic gnome" UI because I know it's supported by Edubuntu until April 2017 whereas Xubuntu 12.04 chose only a 3 year support cycle, and Lubuntu chose only an 18 month support cycle

Beans
    Hidden!

New: Instructions how to make install USB drive from Windows with graphical user interface tools

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE

Edit: Now the current detailed instructions also reside at the Ubuntu wiki and are easily available from the page above.
    Last edited by sudodus; May 13th, 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

There is a new alternative to install Ubuntu based operating systems into computers of various age and kind, also Celeron M and Pentium M computers, the One Button Installer, the 'OBI'.

The OBI is designed to be easy to use and have a very small foot-print. It uses only standard programs and shell-scripts in text mode. Installed systems with non-PAE kernels or fake-PAE are portable between many computers, and they are stored in compressed tar archive files, tarballs.

Code:
    GnomeClassic1204-oem.tar.gz
    GnomeClassic1204.tar.gz
    lubuntu-10.04.tar.gz    # good for old systems but past end of life of desktop packages
    Lubuntu_13.04sept1.tar.gz
    lxle-2013-08-19.tar.gz
    OneButtonInstaller_blank-noswap.tar.gz
    saucyalfa2.tar.gz
    saucybeta1.tar.gz       # new 
    ubuntu-10.04.tar.gz     # good for old systems but past end of life of desktop packages
    The OBI helps you make such a tarball of your own system and use it as a backup or to port the system to another computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm using a less-discussed install on a Thinkpad R31 Celeron -- Snow Linux 4.0 XFCE. XFCE worked but it wasn't snappy. I discovered I also had Gnome classic as an option. That works pretty well. The Intel graphics chip - 82801?? - seems like a real problem child. I tried their E17 live CD but couldn't get it to load into a live session. This is using a modern kernel, 3.5.x or 3.8.x and is supported until I think 2016.
    Last edited by kurt18947; September 7th, 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sometimes it helps to change the Xorg acceleration method to UXA. See this excerpt from a conversation in the Lubuntu community mail.

John Hupp <lubuntu@prpcompany.com> wrote:

There was this helpful bug report on file at http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+so...x/+bug/1178982.

It described behavior on Dell PC's with integrated Intel graphics, in which Adobe Flash Player would display only with shades of purple and green in a horizontally compressed window (or at least that's how I would describe what I see on a Dell Dimension 2400).

The work-around (Comment #1) was to change the Xorg acceleration method to UXA.

User reported a work-around:

-o-

Edit (or create) /etc/X11/xorg.conf as follows: (ugh, can't format, should be a tab before each line except the first and the last).

Code:
    Section "Device"
     Identifier "Intel Graphics"
     Driver "intel"
     Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
    EndSection
    Restart X (reboot, restart your display manager, whatever). Colors are back to the way they used to be and flash works.

-o-

I forgot to include, however, that the bug workaround messes up the login screen (LightDM). You can make out an entry box that one assumes is for the password entry, but everything else is largely unidentifiable.

So as a workaround it leaves a lot to be desired, unless we can also figure out how to fix the login screen.

-o-

Nio Wiklund wrote:

This method works for me to restore good graphics in an old IBM Thinkcentre with Lubuntu Saucy alpha-2 and the following Intel graphics.

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

There is no issue with the login screen.
    Last edited by sudodus; September 7th, 2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: the indent should be a TAB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123