Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid gets black screen with just a white blinking cursor

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid gets black screen with just a white blinking cursor

I am new with Ubuntu but not with computers.

I have an old 32 Bite Lap Top with Win/XP OS, 1 GIG Ram, VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP (Display Adapter), 30 GIG HD
    with 7 GIG free space.

Each time I try do an install of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid, I select "Try Ubuntu Without Installing" The Set Language screen
    appears. English is already selected for me. I hit enter. "Try Ubuntu Without Installing" menu appears again. I hit enter.
    I then get a completely black screen with just a white blinking cursor in the upper left corner. Without any intervention on
    my part wavy lines appear in the center of the screen. To get out I have to Hit CTR,ALT,DEL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid gets black screen with just a white blinking cursor

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums ezpete. A user with your hardware should be along
    in due time.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ezpete View Post
    I am new with Ubuntu but not with computers.

I have an old 32 Bite Lap Top with Win/XP OS, 1 GIG Ram, VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP (Display Adapter), 30 GIG HD
    with 7 GIG free space.

Each time I try do an install of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid, I select "Try Ubuntu Without Installing" The Set Language screen
    appears. English is already selected for me. I hit enter. "Try Ubuntu Without Installing" menu appears again. I hit enter.
    I then get a completely black screen with just a white blinking cursor in the upper left corner. Without any intervention on
    my part wavy lines appear in the center of the screen. To get out I have to Hit CTR,ALT,DEL.
    Support for 10.04 will end in 2 days so I don't see any point in trying to install it right now. Maybe Lubuntu or Xubuntu 12.04 or the latest 13.04 would be more appropriate, although 7GB of space is too low for a normal installation of Ubuntu, regardless of the flavour [i.e. (U)(X)(L)buntu].

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Op has a non-pae CPU and would like a Ubuntu install with Gnome2 User interface if at all
    Possible as I understand user. I have been away from Ubuntu Forum for a bit and am just
    getting back into the last few releases since the default of pae kernel.

Beans
    Distro

Support for 10.04 will end in 2 days so I don't see any point in trying to install it right now. Maybe Lubuntu or Xubuntu 12.04 or the latest 13.04 would be more appropriate, although 7GB of space is too low for a normal installation of Ubuntu, regardless of the flavour [i.e. (U)(X)(L)buntu].

Hope that helps.
    Kostkon
    I do believe I remember using Classic Desktop with 11.10 is that still an option for OP.
    It does run on his hardware.
    EDIT: 11.10 is running short on time also and 12.04 is default pae kernel??? Are there
    any viable options for old non pae CPU's?
    Last edited by garvinrick4; May 8th, 2013 at 03:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by garvinrick4 View Post
    Op has a non-pae CPU
    What makes you think so?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

What makes you think so?
    I should have mentioned that I have talked to OP.
    Since I have been away from Ubuntu for a bit I know
    little about overcoming installing to non pae CPU's I will
    stay out now and let others answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

OK, how does the alternate Xubuntu 12.04.2 work?

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/r...ecise/release/

Remember to have wired internet access while installing.
    Last edited by mörgæs; May 8th, 2013 at 04:05 AM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lubutnu 12.04 has non PAE image i believe and the OP should be able to boot into live session (alternate installer doesn't have a live session i believe). and 7GB should be enough to install it. but not many additional programmes will fit and also cleaning of old kernel might be needed after updating the OS, because 7GB is a bit low.

furthermore since the 10.04 live session could not be started i suggest usiing some of the available boot options (particulary nomodeset). here is how to do it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    What makes you think so?
    Thank you for your help. I installed Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and everything is working fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast