Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem starting VirtualBox

Beans

Angry Problem starting VirtualBox

Since I upgraded to 13.04 I cannot start my Windows 7 virtual box. All I use this for is to program a remote. Anyway the error messages in which I receive are as follows:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

...and then...

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 7.
    The virtual machine 'Windows 7' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component: Machine
    Interface: IMachine {22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858}

What I have tried so far:

Reinstalled Ubuntu DKMS via Synaptic and installed virtualbox-dkms and virtualbox-guest-dkms also via Synaptic. I get the exact same error message as I did before I made any changes. Any ideas? Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem starting VirtualBox

Have you tried opening Terminal and typing:
    Code:
     sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    It wasn't clear whether or not you did.
    System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 14.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 14.04; Zotac Z-Box ID45: Mythbuntu 14.04 with MythTV 0.28

Ubuntu problems? http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    Have you tried opening Terminal and typing:
    Code:
     sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    It wasn't clear whether or not you did.
    So I have to install the old kernel? The output I get is:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-3.5.0-18-generic
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-3.5.0-18-generic'

Would kernel 3.5.4 work? I have it in my little collection of kernels already downloaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think VBox is looking for kernel 3.5.0-18-generic according to the error message; whether or not VBox is compatible with newer kernels is beyond me. I suppose you could always run VBox on the older kernel when needed occasionally, then switch back to the newer kernel for other work. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to kernels, as you can see by the Ubuntu version I run (12.04). Perhaps someone else with more expertise will have some advice.
    System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 14.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 14.04; Zotac Z-Box ID45: Mythbuntu 14.04 with MythTV 0.28

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Virtualisation

My experience with VBox in 13.04 leads me to believe that it is not compatible with the kernel yet. While I was able to get installed, the tainted kernel crashed or panicked frequently. I uninstalled VBox and blacklisted the module, but still had problems and ultimately just reinstalled Raring and didn't install VBox. I have another machine running Win 7 Pro, so I just RDP into that one.

You might cruise the VBox forum to see what others have encountered.
    Last edited by QIII; May 8th, 2013 at 04:27 PM.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

The site install has the appearance of being solid. Or just got lucky.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12638864

Beans

I performed a purge and fresh install of the one from the Oracle site that says it's for 13.04. Same error. I installed the kernel image mentioned above and same error. I'm beginning to regret doing the Raring Ringtail upgrade because it broke a lot of things. Really I'm seeing no real advantage of having 13.04 over 12.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

In reality, Raring didn't break it. That's a third party application that Canonical has no control over. If it has not been updated, it won't work. It takes developers some time to update things.

But it is certainly frustrating and I don't blame you for being frustrated!
    Last edited by QIII; May 8th, 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Beans

Yeah I can understand that. According to Oracle there is an appropriate version for RR, but I still can't seem to get it going for love or for money. I just posted to their community forum. Maybe somebody knows the magic action to get me back going. If Logitech had official Linux support for the Harmony One then I wouldn't need a Windoze VM anyway. I did have it going on 12.10 Gnome Remix, but when I did my upgrade it removed "obsolete packages" and I believe this is where the specific problem originates. Anyway, thanks to everybody who tried to shed some insight on this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion29710 View Post
    ...If Logitech had official Linux support for the Harmony One then I wouldn't need a Windoze VM anyway.
    Have you tried WINE in 13.04 to program your remote? Then you wouldn't need the Win VM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast