Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skype

Beans

My synaptic package manager didn't have skype, so I tried downloading from the skype website Ubuntu 10.04 distribution, but it didn't work when trying to install. Then I tried downloading lubuntu 12.04 (upgrading from the Update Manager, hoping that skype would work with the newer version), but my connection was too slow and I interrupted it. It restored the old distribution and said I could resume later. But when I open the Update Manager, it thinks that everything is up to date. Suggestions? The ultimate goal is to have skype, not upgrade. Also, when I tried google voice, my microphone wasn't working.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: skype

10.04 is end of live (except for the server edition, but I don't know whether skype is included in the server edition). Skype is available in the repositories for 12.04, and also in the newer versions (at least, for the time being. With skype being owned by microsoft it may end one day). Lubuntu doesn't have LTS versions, so no reason to stay with 12.04, unless your hardware is too old. It's best to use a supported version anyway.

You interrupted the upgrade whilst it was still downloading packages, before installation started. Therefore nothing has happened to your computer. You still have a clean up-to-date 10.04 installation, for as far as an end-of-live version can be up-to-date.

Beans

So how do I get skype? I don't know how to upgrade to 12.04 now (I don't understand what you said. On one hand, skype is available in 12.04, on the other hand no reason to switch to 12.04?)

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    10.04 is end of live (except for the server edition, but I don't know whether skype is included in the server edition). Skype is available in the repositories for 12.04, and also in the newer versions (at least, for the time being. With skype being owned by microsoft it may end one day). Lubuntu doesn't have LTS versions, so no reason to stay with 12.04, unless your hardware is too old. It's best to use a supported version anyway.

You interrupted the upgrade whilst it was still downloading packages, before installation started. Therefore nothing has happened to your computer. You still have a clean up-to-date 10.04 installation, for as far as an end-of-live version can be up-to-date.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Open Synaptic, go to Settings > Repositories > Other Software and check the box that says Canonical Partner, Reload Synaptic and you will find Skype.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 7th, 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Open Synaptic, go to Settings > Repositories > Other Software and check the box that says Canonical Partner, Reload Synaptic and you will find Skype.
    I did that, but there was only earcandy, pidgin-skype, and pidgin-skype.dbg, all of which I already installed. I don't see skype anywhere.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iuval View Post
    I did that, but there was only earcandy, pidgin-skype, and pidgin-skype.dbg, all of which I already installed. I don't see skype anywhere.
    pidgin-skype doesn't work...

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Did you reload synaptic? (I mean clicking the "reload" button on the upper left corner, not restarting synaptic) It has to update the information about repositories. This is the same as typing "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 8th, 2013 at 02:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

pidgin-skype is a plugin to enable to connect to Skype using Pidgin, it's not a program itself.
    Ubuntu - "humanidade com os outros" or "sou o que sou pelo que nós somos"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iuval View Post

Thanks very much! But now the mic doesn't work in skype. It works in other programs such as Sound Recorder. I tried fiddling with the Alsa gui, but no luck. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by iuval; May 8th, 2013 at 04:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm afraid Lubuntu doesn't use Alsa, but I may be wrong. If you want to upgrade, use an USB stick, install
    Code:
    usb-creator-gtk
    and choose to upgrade, it's easier than download everything.
    Ubuntu - "humanidade com os outros" or "sou o que sou pelo que nós somos"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast