Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really bad experience with Ubuntu Linux (Unity, 13.04)

Hybrid View

Beans

Really bad experience with Ubuntu Linux (Unity, 13.04)

I'm not a typical Ubuntu user and was one of the many people alienated by the new tablet/simplified interface when it came out.

However after seeing the Ubuntu phone in action and hearing about their viewpoint (which is always useful to understand where they're coming from) I decided to try this rolling release distro with the Unity interface. It started out well as it swiftly breezed through booting off the USB drive into the live distribution. The desktop environment was above my expectations in performance, especially using the open source video driver.

Good experiences:

Even though the post is primarily for my bad experiences, there's a lot of good things which I think makes this OS excel in areas no other OS has.

The use of space is brilliant, as vertical space is the most expensive, it makes use of horizontal and makes vertical reusable. It puts all menus in the active window in the same area and maximised applications can cut off its window bar and lets you drag it in the same menu space. Brilliant.

It's aesthetically pleasing for the most past, although the background isn't nice to look at. But choosing one which fits the orange theme colour is quite a tricky one.

Software centre is really good, although it would be nice if the button which has install changes as it has no feedback that it's actually installing.

The file manager is nice, and it really shows off the beauty of the icons. However I can't seem to find in the preferences to display the full path instead, as I like to type in paths and view exactly where I am as well as copy it.

I'm kind of torn between whether the small scroll bars which expand is a good idea. It maximises space, but due to the way it's implemented, it's really easy to miss the bar and have to try and make it reappear, it can take a little while finding the area to make it display this.

Bad experiences:

When installing, I was asked whether to wipe over the old Mint KDE, as I wanted this I selected yes. Unaware it was going to delete my second partition with much of my data on it. I do have a backup of everything important, but I lost the latest version of my Linux notes & useful scripts. But nevertheless it was quite stressful to have this happen to me. This was the first time I've ever selected auto when installing, there was no mention of it removing my other partition.

After booting for the first time I noticed it wasn't quite as fast in certain areas when it came to the left pane. I decided to add the terminal shortcut there.. Empty spaces appeared and the terminal shortcut was nowhere to be seen. On my second attempt which added yet another un-clickable blank space I gave up. So I opened the program and then pinned it there which worked.

When exploring Ubuntu's web search integration I saw a video which sounded interesting, so I clicked it. It said my flash player was out of date, I'd done a full update which kind of made me wonder. It suggested I go to the adobe website to download it for my OS, typical Adobe didn't support Debian packages and opted for .rpm. They even had the nerve to say it's the last version available and will not be updating it for anything other than security. I check the software centre and it tells me I'm up to date, so it seemed I cannot get a newer flash player to run. There is Ubuntu extras (could have same version) and mediabuntu I suppose, but you'd expect it to just work.

In a mad panic of distro-shock I wanted to download some software to install, Firefox just wouldn't open. Instead it glowed with no result. Thankfully the icon was aesthetically pleasing so I could just look at it instead.

Previously I had installed synaptic-package manager to install some more software. I had closed the software center but it kept telling me it was locked by another package manager. This was the only program running.

In another mad panic to get a web browser to work I search for Opera, nothing was found. Fair enough as it's not considered free software. So I search for Chrome, nothing found either. So I settled for Chromium in the internet tab. Now, the thing about Chrome is it comes with it's own implementation of flash. But the thing about Chromium is, it does not. It seems there's a PPA to get it in there, but seriously.. It's a bit of a hassle. Opera installed fine, but Chrome had an unmet dependency.

Now I'm being all cool and flicking through the icons in the left pane, but it's un-intuitively and oddly selecting and scrolling where I don't want to. Such as clicking and dragging up and down won't select on the icons as I move my mouse to open like in Ubuntu phone, instead it just changes the position viewed. Also when moving your cursor off the icon, it collapses the icons at the bottom, strangely when hovering on the narrow area where it's collapsed it'll expand the flat icon.

Brightness bar is extremely bugged, only the KDE desktop from what I've seen has got this working right. Gnome needs to be kicked in the rear here, or Canonical to fix this. It jitters between brightness levels and can go from a notch from the second to lowers to the highest in a single jump.

Graphically the brightness and the search menu is quite hideous due to the extremely over the top blur, I think not having a blur at all, or a very subtle one would be much better.

These are my personal experiences in a brief time of 15 minutes coming across the desktop, I'm doing this in the hope that someone will address these user experience issues. It is a far better desktop environment than I was expecting I must admin.

Beans

Re: Really bad experience with Ubuntu Linux (Unity, 13.04)

too long, but I ubuntu gives me good experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

every point that you gave us can be demolished.
    first package to install after you install ubuntu is "ubuntu restricted extras" . keep that in mind!
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans

One day after installing 13.04 I switched to Linux Mint. I feel reborn. Faster and has a nice and (actually) usable user interface. Being using Ubuntu since the very first/second edition. But 13.04 did it - no more Ubuntu for me. I understand Canonical's desire to target the mobile market, but an option to painlessly install the desired desktop interface and not be stuck with the Unity crap would be a plus.
    peace

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aev View Post
    . I understand Canonical's desire to target the mobile market, but an option to painlessly install the desired desktop interface and not be stuck with the Unity crap would be a plus.
    That's why you have xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu and Ubuntu-gnome. You are not 'stuck'.

BTW, Mint is just rebranded Ubuntu with a different DE and codecs preinstalled. I always find it kind of ugly and hate the Mint menu (trying to be Windows XP-ish) but to each his own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I like unity much better then cinnamon on mint....it's much more attractive and simple to use...and i think that docks "rock" and that is all unity is: a DOCK....so if you hate docks you won't like it...and if you do, you will like it...that's the bottom line...

Windows users walk in to apple stores and ooh and ahh all over the Mac desktop...and that's got a dock...i don't hear then saying...well, that's crap...they LIKE that it is different from the same old tired windows interface...Ubuntu with Unity to me, is very "Mac-like" (with top global menu) and even the dash search reminds me of the search they have on there too...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I like unity much better then cinnamon on mint....it's much more attractive and simple to use...and i think that docks "rock" and that is all unity is: a DOCK....so if you hate docks you won't like it...and if you do, you will like it...that's the bottom line...

Windows users walk in to apple stores and ooh and ahh all over the Mac desktop...and that's got a dock...i don't hear then saying...well, that's crap...they LIKE that it is different from the same old tired windows interface...Ubuntu with Unity to me, is very "Mac-like" (with top global menu) and even the dash search reminds me of the search they have on there too...

Attractive and simple but not for a professional programmer IMO - funny, but the whole lab, where I work and Ubuntu is/was The Distro, thinks like me. And the difference between the Ubuntu dock and the Mac dock is that the latter is much more mature and without glitches. If I want a Mac-like OS then I guess I will simply go and buy a mac

Some also suggested Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu - well, all of those are forks just as Mint so I dont see the point.
    peace

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by aev View Post
    Some also suggested Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu - well, all of those are forks just as Mint so I dont see the point.
    actually they are not just forks.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTERSTOPBUILD View Post
    I sure hope that video is a joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast