Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really bad experience with Ubuntu Linux (Unity, 13.04)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Really bad experience with Ubuntu Linux (Unity, 13.04)

Quote Originally Posted by aev View Post
    Some also suggested Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu - well, all of those are forks just as Mint so I dont see the point.
    actually they are not just forks.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Lubuntu made a big diffrnece on my old setup

Beans

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Krisando View Post
    Ubuntu phone
    is precisely the root of the problem. An ambitious vaporware project that is being paid for with the rapid destruction of already existing value.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by COMPUTERSTOPBUILD View Post
    I sure hope that video is a joke.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    is precisely the root of the problem. An ambitious vaporware project that is being paid for with the rapid destruction of already existing value.
    If everyone thinks like that there will never be new vision or innovation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I sure hope that video is a joke.
    The Joke is the Glut Filled Windows (Not So Great(8) Desktop!? Cheers!...

Beans

All right, I'm going to try to go through this point by point:

- when installing any distro, if you have more than one partition set up already and only want to install over one of them, and the graphic install makes no mention of all your partitions - go manual. And no, I'm not a "power user". If MS hadn't fubared with Windows 8 I'd still be a happy serf on the Redmond plantation. My point is, if I can do a manual partition, anyone can. (Useful hint: using GParted take a look at how your current Linux partition is set up, then follow suit when installing an added distro.)

- open program, pin to Dash. Yep. Just like Windows 7. No-brainer.

- I upgraded to 13.04 via Software Updater, so I can't speak to Flash in Chrome. As far as installing browsers goes - google.com; opera.com. What's so hard about that? I never found it a burden when using Windows, so it's hardly one here. As far as your unmet dependency in Chrome goes, I can't answer that. Personally, none of the .deb packages I've downloaded presented any problem with installation. It might help if you would mention what those unmet dependencies were. Are you sure you downloaded the correct .deb (32-bit or 64-bit) for your system?

- I don't know why Firefox wouldn't open for you. It's what I used to download Chrome. Actually, it probably did and was just hidden behind another program you had at full screen. If you'd clicked on the glowing Firefox icon I'll bet it would have shown you the window. Otherwise, there's hardly anything a simple logout-log back in won't cure.

- If synaptic package manager is telling you another package manager's locking the process, again, try logging out and logging back in. I have the same problem with JACK (which is why I never use Aurdour any more, but that's a different story).

- Yes, you can see an indicator of install progress in Software Center - click the icon up top that says "Progress". Of course, if you want the real blow by blow you can always do "sudo apt-get install thisprogram" in terminal. I've gotten in the habit of every new install on my guinea pig netbook simply looking at what I have installed on my main computer and typing in "sudo apt-get install winetricks programA programB ... programJ programK..." etc. Beats the hell out of Windows, which trips you up sometimes by acting as if an install is complete then continuing it after you start up a second one.

- "clicking and dragging up and down won't select on the icons as I move my mouse to open like in Ubuntu phone, instead it just changes the position viewed. Also when moving your cursor off the icon, it collapses the icons at the bottom, strangely when hovering on the narrow area where it's collapsed it'll expand the flat icon." Phone is phone, desktop is desktop. I don't know what to say other than that. As far as the icons collapsing on the bottom (I assume this is in a situation where there are more launchers on the Dash bar than it can accomodate with every icon at full size), that's simply the way Dash works - not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. What's strange is it collapses the icons on the bottom so you don't have to scroll down, but it doesn't collapse them on top when you choose one of the collapsed bottom icons (which expands them and pushes the top icons up off the screen, so you do have to scroll up to get back to them). Either way, you end up having to put your mouse arrow on the top or bottom corner to get what you want, so I suppose it's merely a matter of aesthetics.

- On my Acer Aspire One I also find the brightness deal annoying. It's only 3 keystrokes (Fn - left/right arrows on the Acer) from lowest to highest brightness. More gradation is needed.

Someone else mentioned the difficulty in downloading, installing and setting default desktop environments. Horse pucky.

xubuntu - sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    gnome - gnome-desktop-environment (from Software Center)
    KDE - kde-standard (from Software Center)
    LXDE - lxde (from Software Center)

All enviros can be installed from command line as well using the names just before the parentheses.

After that, restart and at the login screen click the Ubuntu logo just to the right of your user name to select your desired desktop environment (which then becomes the default until you pick a new one). Easy peasy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12