Thread: How can I set up my server such that I can VPN through it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How can I set up my server such that I can VPN through it?

I'd like to use the out-of-the-box VPN functionality (no additional client software downloads) on my Ubuntu desktop machines to tunnel my Internet traffic through an encrypted VPN tunnel to my server.

I could also possibly accomplish this wish just an SSH tunnel, but I'd like to make sure *all* my traffic goes through it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How can I set up my server such that I can VPN through it?

I hadn't heard of any built-in VPN. You have to install it. OpenVPN would be your best option for that.

If you are just wanting to tunnel web traffic and e-mail, then you can use an SSH connection as a SOCKS proxy. If you're using Firefox, network.proxy.socks_remote_dns must be set to 'true'. Same for other browsers and mail clients.

For that make an SSH connection to your server with dynamic port forwarding:

Code:
    ssh -Nf -l user -D 9341 server.example.org
    Then point your web browser, mail client or whatever at localhost and port 9341.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I set up my server such that I can VPN through it?

I mean built in VPN support in network-manager. I don't know if that's OpenVPN or not. I know I have to install something on my server; I'm asking what I can install to connect through Ubuntu's built-in network manager.